PDA

View Full Version : Upper Bulkhead Patch

SafeAirOne
05-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Just in case anyone's wondering how to make a patch for thier rotten bulkhead in the area of the fresh air vents, here's how I did it. It DIDN'T involve a huge press and dies to form the vent seal channel, just a little bending, and a lot of MIG welding, grinding, welding, grinding, welding, grinding....:

Photo #1--Used a template and cut out straight and flat sections of vent channel.

Photo #2--Side view of photo #1

Photo #3--Took small pieces of sheet and rounded them to fit the corners. Same for the inside corners (not shown). Welded it in then cut off excess metal. The flat 90 degree outer flange was then welded in (not shown).

Photo #4--Vent seal channel was welded to back of bulkhead patch section I made/bent/welded together

Photo #5--Mostly-complete unit sitting in place for a test-fit.

Not shown are some reinforcing pieces in the back that are simple to bend and weld in, that replicate the factory sections.

There's probably a better way to do it, but this is what worked for me. Now if I could only figure out how to post the photos (not thumbnails) and put captions under them like everyone else does on this board, I'll be all set!

Momo
05-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Beautiful. How many hours do you have in on that patch?

KevinNY
05-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Very nice work.

SafeAirOne
05-13-2008, 05:52 AM
Beautiful. How many hours do you have in on that patch?

Thanks. The actual manufacturing of the patch probably took a couple of days of motivated working. Then an entire year slipped by where I did nothing. Finally, installing the patch took about 3 dedicated weeks of spare time. I ended up replacing the entire doorpost and the outer footwell while I was at it.

At one point, I thought I was ready to install the patch, but then realized that the sides of the Rover slant inwards starting at the level of the doortops. My patch was vertical from top to bottom, so back to the cutoff wheel I went to cut a thin pie-sliced sliver out of the patch. Then it was bend, weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, grind.... I figure inattention to detail like this caused me at least 5 or 6 hours work...

I have no idea how I remembered where and how all the disassembled parts went, but I had very few pieces left over after a year and a half. I think the ziploc baggies and magic marker had a lot to do with it, though...

thixon
05-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Nice work!

TSR53
05-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Now if I could only figure out how to post the photos (not thumbnails) and put captions under them like everyone else does on this board, I'll be all set!

See here "How to post photos in-line rather than attaching" >> http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2895

ps... crafty work on the bulkhead restoration!

SafeAirOne
05-13-2008, 08:39 AM
See here "How to post photos in-line rather than attaching" >> http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2895

Ahh...Thanks! Reading the instructions has always been sort of a last-resort thing for me :D

Tim Smith
05-13-2008, 09:51 AM
That is a very impressing patch! Good work.

Any one know how to create strengthening creases in sheet panels without the right tools? ;)

It looks like my bulkhead foot wells are much much worse than I previously thought and being that it's a lightweight, I'm probably going to have make this up by hand.

Also, has any one got any good links to body work tools and such?

Cheers!

leafsprung
05-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Any one know how to create strengthening creases in sheet panels without the right tools? ;)

make simple dies from flat bar or round stock then a shop press to make the stiffening "ribs"

SafeAirOne
05-13-2008, 11:23 AM

This is what leafsprung was referring to, except it has photos to help in the visualization of the process:

The following link shows some dies used to make the same creases in aluminum homebuilt aircraft fuel tanks. I don't know how well it would work on steel, but the method is sound.

http://www.ch601.org/tools/fuel_tank_relief_beads.htm

Alternately, you bring the sheet down to your local metal fabrication/welding shop and have them put the creases in. Just mark it out and they'll roll them right in for you. Should take less than 30 minutes. Then just take the panel home and bend it up.

The final (and probably easiest) way to do it is just send some money to our hosts here, and they'll send you a pretty, proper and galvanized one; No hassle at all! This is the route I would have gone if they had a vent-seal area patch.

Good Luck--If you use the bending die method linked above, let us know how it comes out...

Tim Smith
05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks guys!

I never would have thought of something like that but now seeing it, it's so obvious.

Any one have thoughts for where to get body work tools and what would make up a good newbie toolbox? I can figure out things like brakes and cutting tools but am not sure where to start when trying to get rid of dents or hammer out shapes. Any good websites with this kind of info or tools for sale?

05-13-2008, 07:46 PM
THat is soem VERY nice work! Wish I knew how to weld =(

I'm on the same boat as Tim...I need to do some body work as well. Luckily its all right along flat panels so its just beating everything back into place...I just need to know the right way of doing it.

SafeAirOne
05-13-2008, 10:13 PM
THat is soem VERY nice work! Wish I knew how to weld =(

Me too!--I would never show my welds to a pro; Fortunately, all the welds that would be visible get ground down so it looks like a single peice of stamped steel.

I'm on the same boat as Tim...I need to do some body work as well. Luckily its all right along flat panels so its just beating everything back into place...I just need to know the right way of doing it.

I can't really help there. The tools are available--just do an internet search for "auto body tools". Shrinking, stretching and pulling metal (and knowing when to do which) is more than I've ever had to do. The only reason I delved into this bulkhead repair was because parts of my bulkhead were MISSING due to rust.

If I recall correctly, body repairs on aluminum are more difficult than on steel because dents tend to stretch the plialbe aluminum more than the same dent would on the stiffer steel. When you beat the dent out, all the excess metal that stretched on the aluminum has to be taken up somewhere and usually manifests itself as wrinkles in the dent area. There are tools available, however, that deal with this problem. See:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1637&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=504&iSubCat=505&iProductID=1637

If I couldn't live with dents and dings on my doors, I'd probably just re-skin the doors (providing that the steel framework is decent). I'd also just fill dents and dings on the tub and wings with aluminum-compatible body filler. If the dents on the wings were drastic, replacement outer wing panels are available and not too expensive. It only takes about 20 minutes to completely remove a wing.

Needless to say, I'm not a purist--I like looking at Rovers that are restored to showroom condition, but I could never own one of those. I don't needlessly abuse my Rover, but I don't worry that the trail is so narrow that brush will scrape down the sides for the next quarter-mile, either.

05-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Look at that! That's neat! Thank you for that link SAO! Im going to start working on restoring the galvanized cappings and bit and doing some body work while I figure out where to put the engine/trans/tc after it comes off...after the bulkhead comes off...LOL

The fun has only just begun. Luckiy, I have a new neighbor that's actually a master welder (works on Motorcycles and makes competition handguns and rifles). Maybe he can teach me a thing or two.

Tim Smith
05-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah, that tool is pretty cool. Thanks SAO.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not too worried about keeping a showroom stock vehicle but rather would like to learn how to do body work. Living in the north east takes it's toll on cars and more times than not the given car I'm driving will need some body work.

I'd say that I'm an excellent assembler.
Mid grade electrician.
Hackers fabricator.
A dunce body worker.
And a not at all decent machinist.

Just trying to raise the bar on some of those skills. :thumb-up: