PDA

View Full Version : Attention Seattle Folks

Momo
05-13-2008, 01:52 PM
We're taking a trip to Seattle on Thursday, first time we've been there other than connecting flights at SEATAC.

Any cool local knowledge to share on what to do and see? We are planning on Pike Place Market and maybe a Bainbridge Island Ferry excursion.

My daughter is 3 1/2 so any fun kid stuff for that age would be good. Maybe a
kid's museum, theater company, exhibit, etc?

I would like to find a cool oak and brass pub or something, with good people watching and cold draft beer. Also maybe a good hike/trail not too far from the city. We have a rental car.

And finally anyone have a 109 Station wagon for sale up there, or know of one for sale? (Turnkeys only- no big project trucks)

This would be a stealth operation on my part. Married guys will understand;) I might have to live in it if I'm not careful!

Momo

Hormel
05-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Momo,
Don't know where you are coming from but I will give it a shot.

When you are in the market I would recommend the Pink Door for a beer/bite on their deck overlooking Elliott Bay. Weather is supposed to be outstanding. Ask a vendor for directions as it can be hard to find. A little more local/gut busting option would be the Athenian in the market building, get a window table.

For tourist activities I would recommend the usual ride on a ferry, space needle, pacific science center, pioneer square, and zoo. The museum of flight is really good but a 3 Y.O might get bored. If you are staying downtown I would also recommend that you take the Water Taxi across the bay to Alki Beach which will be very active on a hot weekend. The aquarium is also right on the Seattle waterfront. I would say that you if were to go visit the Ballard Locks and Fish Ladder you would also be in the neighborhood to stop by Lamorna Garage, owned by Gord'n Perrot at 1142 NW 50th ST, Seattle WA 98107, 206 361 7002. He might have an insight on any 109s available in the area. I believe he may be out of town (Fri-Sun this week).

I don't know how far you want to drive for a hike. Closest hike is Tiger Mountain at Exit 15 off I-90. A more typical option would be Snoqualamie falls which may have a lot of water going over with the snow melt this week end, Exit 34(?) of I-90. Farther out again is Twin Falls around exit 38 also very scenic on the South Fork of the Snoqualamie River which has a nice mix of level and hills to hike.

Have a good time, its raining now but you are coming in a nice weather window.

JSBriggs
05-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Mo,
I used to live in Seattle and the Ballard Locks were one on my favorite places to go and watch the day go by, I'd recomend it. As for pubs, Hales is close to the locks, and has good beer and a nice atmosphere. http://www.halesales.com/

-Jeff

cachinfool
05-13-2008, 04:30 PM
We're taking a trip to Seattle on Thursday, first time we've been there other than connecting flights at SEATAC.

Any cool local knowledge to share on what to do and see? We are planning on Pike Place Market and maybe a Bainbridge Island Ferry excursion.

My daughter is 3 1/2 so any fun kid stuff for that age would be good. Maybe a
kid's museum, theater company, exhibit, etc?

I would like to find a cool oak and brass pub or something, with good people watching and cold draft beer. Also maybe a good hike/trail not too far from the city. We have a rental car.

And finally anyone have a 109 Station wagon for sale up there, or know of one for sale? (Turnkeys only- no big project trucks)

This would be a stealth operation on my part. Married guys will understand;) I might have to live in it if I'm not careful!

Momo

Tiger Mountain (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/115490_hike03.shtml) is a good close in hiking option, if you have your 3 year old with you the Tradition Lake Plateau on Tiger would be just about perfect, not much in the way of elevation changes but if you to gain elevation just turn left at the Nook Trail and up you go.
Another option though a bit farther out and a heartier hike is Rattlesnake Ledges (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/145995_hike30.html) (no rattlesnakes present). I would suggest you start an Rattlesnake Lake and hike up to the 1st ledge and back.

redmondrover
05-13-2008, 04:31 PM
I second what Hormel recommended for tourist activities.

As for 109s for sale, my wife's is not, but there was a nice one in Vancouver, BC (owner Chris Zawada) for $9000 originally but I think he dropped it recently to $6000. We considered it before settling on a different one with more bells/whistles. There is also a 109 for sale in Portland (Carawagon, i think) that has been on the market for 4 + months and always with an asking price of $15K. Both appeared to be turnkey. Other than those two, there was a "two fer" sale on a 109 pickup and an 88 in Gig Harbor within the last 6 weeks or so ($8,000 for both), but I don't think they were even close to turnkey. All of this have appeared on Craigslist off and on for the past several months (not on there now, though).

Have fun in Seattle--it is supposed to hit 85 degrees on Thursday/Friday, but then rain on the weekend.

KingSlug
05-14-2008, 04:05 AM
Mo,

I lived up there for a few years. The wife and I bought a CityPass the first time I took her to Seattle. The Woodland Park Zoo, aquarium, Space Needle are all in the CityPass. I like the Ballard Locks, it was down by the crane yard where I worked. The UofW is nice to look around especially that arboretuem. You could got to Blake Island and see indian stuff. My parents have a house on Queen Anne Hill and out in Maple Valley towards Isaquall(ms); they have a D110, a 109SW that aren't for sell, but I am sure my mom would sell you one of my pop's Bren gun carriers. Your girl might like to see the fotune cookie factory in Chinatown. There is really alot of stuff to do in Seattle, I would suggest you look at a guide book before you go. There are alot of breweries in the area, I have a friend at Redhook in Woodenville, but here are plenty to choose from. Be sure to go to Ivars and have some clam chowder.

Jared

Momo
05-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the great response, guys. We're going to do the aquarium/waterfront/locks Friday, a hike on Saturday, and
hopefully the needle Saturday afternoon. I may sneak away for the museum of flight. Should be a great trip!

cachinfool
05-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the great response, guys. We're going to do the aquarium/waterfront/locks Friday, a hike on Saturday, and
hopefully the needle Saturday afternoon. I may sneak away for the museum of flight. Should be a great trip!

If you do the Needle just do the observation deck don't eat at the overpriced under quality restaurant.
If you're looking for the million dollar view of the city you might want to visit Kerry Park (N47° 37.771 W122° 21.595)

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/138f4b43-10b1-49b1-92ac-e18b977a13f1.jpg