PDA

View Full Version : my 88 gets its new heart

1961 109 WAGON
05-14-2008, 07:51 PM
bought this engine in new jersey for $100, along with another for the same token while i was up there.i am not rebuilding due to a budget. i did however put all new seals and gaskets, paint, tune up parts and new motor mounts, clutch and some hardware.the oil pan is off another motor, i put that on there to keep the pump from gettting all bent up . i have a nice one thats on there now. i hope i got the timing correct!
i got the truck for $500, got a motor , but was all rusty and not worth rebuilding it (thousands). i want to have the truck road legal and nice inside, my buget should be under $1700 once finished, brakes are $700 of that total.

Jim-ME
05-15-2008, 05:02 AM
Nice find. I hope the internals are in as good shape as you have made the outside :thumb-up:
Jim

daveb
05-15-2008, 07:19 AM
nice work nathan

did you at least plastigage the bearings?

oh, and don't forget to add your ga$ to fetch the engine(s) and other unspecified trips that we won't talk about :) :) :)

bought this engine in new jersey for $100, along with another for the same token while i was up there.i am not rebuilding due to a budget. i did however put all new seals and gaskets, paint, tune up parts and new motor mounts, clutch and some hardware.the oil pan is off another motor, i put that on there to keep the pump from gettting all bent up . i have a nice one thats on there now. i hope i got the timing correct!
i got the truck for $500, got a motor , but was all rusty and not worth rebuilding it (thousands). i want to have the truck road legal and nice inside, my buget should be under $1700 once finished, brakes are $700 of that total.

1961 109 WAGON
05-15-2008, 11:00 AM
i didnt get into the bearings for the crank, or mess with the cam.lets hope there not noisy.

after pulling an all nighter , i got it put in BY MYSELF, the better half was asleep and i wanted it in before our next rain storm which is on the way.it was a pita the get the trans and engine to line up , alot of up and down, with bottle jacks under the trans to support it,and cusing. now i got days of little parts to hook up.not one bolt rung off or got stripped... SO FAR.
dave, thank you for finding this engine for me. ive been looking for a few monthes with no luck. i really thank you for going out of your way to help me.thanks for the weekend at the beach too....:rolleyes:

daveb
05-15-2008, 12:22 PM
heh heh, lookin good man

no problem, tell your friends. leave out the unsavory details.

btw you should re-route your fuel line in front of the rocker cover, the way you have it is the vapo(u)r lock special...

let me knowe when you want to come out and dig through my shed. sooner is better, gotta make room...

thanks for the weekend at the beach too....:rolleyes:

Bertha
05-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Hope you get luckier than I did. I picked up a motor from a member on this board in CT for 500.00 that was suposedly rebuilt with 15,000 miles on it. What a waste of money that was. When I opened it up I found all the wrist pins loose, the crank scored beyond repair the head cracked, and one of the cylinder bores worn out. Good thing I did not just take it and put it into the truck, what a waste of time that would have been.

1961 109 WAGON
05-16-2008, 09:59 PM
well she runs!! no smoke, good power and the carb keeps getting gummed up will silt from the tank. i put a filter in the fuel line, so maybe after a few fill ups all the silt will be gone.
i did have the battery in wrong, its still a positive earth

I Leak Oil
05-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Hope you get luckier than I did. I picked up a motor from a member on this board in CT for 500.00 that was suposedly rebuilt with 15,000 miles on it. What a waste of money that was. When I opened it up I found all the wrist pins loose, the crank scored beyond repair the head cracked, and one of the cylinder bores worn out. Good thing I did not just take it and put it into the truck, what a waste of time that would have been.

Wow...hope he or she made good by you..:nono:
Jason T.

Bertha
05-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Wow...hope he or she made good by you..:nono:
Jason T.
No, I did not even follow up with the seller. It wasnt worth the hassel for 500.00.

Tim Smith
05-19-2008, 05:58 AM
No, I did not even follow up with the seller. It wasnt worth the hassel for 500.00.
I'm sorry to hear that Bertha. What did you end up doing with the block? Rebuilding it?

Bertha
05-19-2008, 06:34 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Bertha. What did you end up doing with the block? Rebuilding it?

It is in for a full rebuild as we speak. Fortunately, I had a good cylinder head laying around.

Tim Smith
05-19-2008, 06:50 AM
It is in for a full rebuild as we speak. Fortunately, I had a good cylinder head laying around.
Ach! That stinks. On behalf of all series owning CT residents, I'm sorry for that rotten apple.

Let us know how the rebuild goes. I too need to rebuild a 2.5 and I'm probably going to need to oversize the pistons but am finding out that not too many people are around with the tools to bore out a cylinder any more. Not sure how this rebuild is going to end up. :sly:

Good luck.

Bertha
05-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Ach! That stinks. On behalf of all series owning CT residents, I'm sorry for that rotten apple.

Let us know how the rebuild goes. I too need to rebuild a 2.5 and I'm probably going to need to oversize the pistons but am finding out that not too many people are around with the tools to bore out a cylinder any more. Not sure how this rebuild is going to end up. :sly:

Good luck.
Let me know if you need help, I have a great LR mechanic who specializes in series trucks in hyde park ny

yorker
05-19-2008, 10:21 AM
What ever happened to that rover junk yard in Rheinbeck? Is Klopping is still in business in Hyde Park- I heard rumors he was.

Bertha
05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
What ever happened to that rover junk yard in Rheinbeck? Is Klopping is still in business in Hyde Park- I heard rumors he was.

Ernie is still around and doing well. He is a 1 man show at this point, but always has a few restorations going on in addition to his service work.

yorker
05-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I am kind of surprised after the Roverworks fiasco.

Bertha
05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I am kind of surprised after the Roverworks fiasco.

That really wasnt his fault, it was his ex-partners, he is truly an honest hardworking guy that does a great job with these old trucks.

Tim Smith
05-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Let me know if you need help, I have a great LR mechanic who specializes in series trucks in hyde park ny
Thanks for the offer Bertha. I'll let you (and probably the list) know if I end up needing to find a decent machinist.

Cheers!