PDA

View Full Version : Relay wiring in ignition circuit (pic)

east high
05-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey guys,

I'll be attempting to wire a Bosch relay into the ignition circuit of my '67 rover. The recent addition of a Delco alternator was too much for the wee combo light/ignition switch and it fried within a week or so. Hopefully the relay will insure the safety of the new switch. I've drawn up a quick diagram based on the advice of a few friendly folks. Please take a look at let me know if I'm on the right track.

Red wire is the heavy current off the alternator, Blue is the lighter 12v current off the fuse block, Green is the heavy current switched through the relay to the ignition system.

daveb
05-16-2008, 07:13 PM
if the contacts in the switch are dirty old and worn out the switch will heat up and die. BTDT, new switch cured the problem. your setup should be fine, you are not running all those Delco amps through the switch anyway. amps only exist in a charging situation or load situation, and neither of those circuits should pass all the current through the ign. switch, if yours does it is wired incorrectly.

I would specifically avoid doing what you propose and leave the circuit the way it is. there are lots of Lr's running around with delcos and they are fine.

Hey guys,

I'll be attempting to wire a Bosch relay into the ignition circuit of my '67 rover. The recent addition of a Delco alternator was too much for the wee combo light/ignition switch and it fried within a week or so. Hopefully the relay will insure the safety of the new switch. I've drawn up a quick diagram based on the advice of a few friendly folks. Please take a look at let me know if I'm on the right track.

Red wire is the heavy current off the alternator, Blue is the lighter 12v current off the fuse block, Green is the heavy current switched through the relay to the ignition system.

east high
05-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Okay. Makes sense that my old beat up switch could burn out. I found another switch that's in better shape. What's the best way to protect this one from burning out? I've read that these older switches can only take 12 to 13 amps.

My charging system go like this: delco > ammeter > battery. Power for the rest of the vehicle comes off another prong of the ammeter to two wires, one to the fuse block, the other to the power terminal of the combo switch.

This is the same configuration as factory for my rover, with the exception of the Lucas voltage regulator, which isn't need due to the Delco's internal regulator.

Thanks-

daveb
05-18-2008, 10:13 PM
lights tend to be a heavy draw. I put hella vision plus in mine and had to replace the ignition switch and headlights dimmer switch. they both seem fine now. the ignition key would actually get hot.

Okay. Makes sense that my old beat up switch could burn out. I found another switch that's in better shape. What's the best way to protect this one from burning out? I've read that these older switches can only take 12 to 13 amps.

My charging system go like this: delco > ammeter > battery. Power for the rest of the vehicle comes off another prong of the ammeter to two wires, one to the fuse block, the other to the power terminal of the combo switch.

This is the same configuration as factory for my rover, with the exception of the Lucas voltage regulator, which isn't need due to the Delco's internal regulator.

Thanks-