PDA

View Full Version : rear light trouble

Ed*
05-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi

I am trying to get my 95 lwb to pass inspection and the one thing hanging it up is the rear light. Im talking about the light that comes on when the head lights go on. the one on the driver's side.

so here is the trouble. i started doing the normal check list, bulb ect and found that the socket for the bulb is only geting about 9volts instead of 12v. I took off the light cover and pulled that all out to get to the wires behind it. The other lights, brake, turn ect are getting 12v.

So i unconnected the multiplug and at the plug the wire for the light is only giving about 9v. I thought it might be the connector, so i tested the wire directly and only 9v.

Any clues on how to find the problem?

My temp soution to get the inspection sticker is to run a wire from the otherside, sloppy but it should get me legaly on the road.

Oh and maybe i can just by a 9v blub :)

Ed*
05-20-2008, 11:17 AM
amazingly (to me atleast) i tracked down the trouble

here is the short version for anyone who runs into the issue...
on my 95 classic the driver's side tail light has two wires a red/black striped one that goes to the taillight bulb and a black on that is the ground for all the lights in the back on that side

the ground goes though the frame and up to by the rear speaker where it screws to the frame as a ground

the red/black also goes to the two lights above the license plate. the wire spilts in three (tail light, license plate times 2) inside the conduiot above the exhaust on the drivers side.

mine had come loose at the split, once i cut open the conduiot and re attahced the wires it all went well.

you can get replacement conduiot at autozone for like $1 a foot, super cheap.

hope this helps some one
-ed