X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WILLYSMB
    Low Range
    • Dec 2007

Reverse lights wiring

I have a series 3 1972, it has the reverse lights in-place and wires connecting both. How does one wire them to work. Does this sound right.

1. run wire from ignition switch to reverse switch.
    2. From reverse switch to reverse light on right rear.
    will this work when you start and engage reverse making the reverse lights eliminate ???? or am i missing a connection.

Marsha
  • jp-
    5th Gear
    • Oct 2006

Run a hot wire off the ignition (or off any hot connection) to the reverse switch.

Reverse switch to reverse lights.

Make sure reverse light are properly grounded. Voila!

On my 88", I did it slightly differently. I ran a positive wire to a relay located near the firewall, and then ran a negative wire to the reverse switch, and from the reverse switch back to the relay. The reverse switch made the connection through the negative side instead of the positive. I did this just in case the wire ever snagged on something under the truck, I wouldn't have a hot wire dangling and shorting everything out.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• Leslie
      5th Gear
      • Oct 2006

Have you changed harnesses? Do you not have the stock wiring anymore?

I rewired mine; however, I accidentally ordered a non-reverse-light harness....

So, like you describe, I ran a wire off of the ignition to the reverse switch at the base of the shifter, then from the switch back. I ran it along the top of the chassis to protect it (as I already had the tub back on the replacement chassis before I realized I needed an extra wire....).

Unlike you, I disposed of the stock reverse lights, and installed a Hella worklamp.... that way, I can actually see what's behind me, instead of casting a pale glow behind me.....

FWIW.....
      -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
      '60 SII 88" RHD

Comment

• WILLYSMB
        Low Range
        • Dec 2007

THANKS GUYS FOR THE ANSWERS

MART

Comment

• Leslie
          5th Gear
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Leslie
          So, like you describe, I ran a wire off of the ignition to the reverse switch at the base of the shifter, then from the switch back.

Actually..... allow me to correct myself.....

That was my original plan. I started thinkin' about it again, and then remembered that instead of running it off the switch, I ran it off the coil.....

Was easier to get to, and as effective....
          -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
          '60 SII 88" RHD

Comment

• dunerunner
            1st Gear
            • May 2008

WILLYSMB - Don't forget to put a fuse in that circuit. Placement should be after the HOT connection where accessible and before the switch, wiring and lamp.
            '94 D-90, '59 SII 109 Regular

Comment

Working...