PDA

View Full Version : Reverse lights wiring

WILLYSMB
05-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I have a series 3 1972, it has the reverse lights in-place and wires connecting both. How does one wire them to work.:confused: Does this sound right.

1. run wire from ignition switch to reverse switch.
2. From reverse switch to reverse light on right rear.
will this work when you start and engage reverse making the reverse lights eliminate ???? or am i missing a connection.

Marsha:)

jp-
05-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Run a hot wire off the ignition (or off any hot connection) to the reverse switch.

Reverse switch to reverse lights.

Make sure reverse light are properly grounded. Voila!

On my 88", I did it slightly differently. I ran a positive wire to a relay located near the firewall, and then ran a negative wire to the reverse switch, and from the reverse switch back to the relay. The reverse switch made the connection through the negative side instead of the positive. I did this just in case the wire ever snagged on something under the truck, I wouldn't have a hot wire dangling and shorting everything out.

Leslie
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Have you changed harnesses? Do you not have the stock wiring anymore?

I rewired mine; however, I accidentally ordered a non-reverse-light harness....:o

So, like you describe, I ran a wire off of the ignition to the reverse switch at the base of the shifter, then from the switch back. I ran it along the top of the chassis to protect it (as I already had the tub back on the replacement chassis before I realized I needed an extra wire....).

Unlike you, I disposed of the stock reverse lights, and installed a Hella worklamp.... that way, I can actually see what's behind me, instead of casting a pale glow behind me.....

FWIW.....

WILLYSMB
05-20-2008, 07:38 AM
THANKS GUYS FOR THE ANSWERS

MART:D

Leslie
05-21-2008, 12:13 PM
So, like you describe, I ran a wire off of the ignition to the reverse switch at the base of the shifter, then from the switch back.

Actually..... allow me to correct myself.....

That was my original plan. I started thinkin' about it again, and then remembered that instead of running it off the switch, I ran it off the coil.....

Was easier to get to, and as effective....

dunerunner
05-25-2008, 01:36 PM
WILLYSMB - Don't forget to put a fuse in that circuit. Placement should be after the HOT connection where accessible and before the switch, wiring and lamp.