PDA

View Full Version : ludwig is not a comedian any more, no more knock knock

autoguy
05-19-2008, 10:53 PM
well got the 4wd transfer case put in over the weekend and took ludwig for a drive up our hill today, with a 5 gallon gas tank, the passenger gas tank has decided to leak, so i pulled it and am fixing it

well ludwig is no longer a comedian he no longer knocks, so it could have been something in the original transfer case :D

now to fix the leak coming from the transfer case and pull the bolt that i snapped tightening it down, of course i will have to drop the pan and drain the oil for one damn broken bolt :mad:

he is leaking from the rear hub area where the oil seal is on the transfer case, he is on a fairly steep hill and might have gotten over filled, he is only dripping now though so i figure it is just a normal land rover leak :)

Tim Smith
05-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Glad it's back together and not a main bearing like I was originally worried of.

When you go to fix the transfer-case bolt, go ahead and get all of the gaskets and seals for the transfer-case. They are cheap and easy to fit so the hardest part really is just getting under there to do the job.

Oh yeah, I was able to replace the transmission output seal with the transfer-case in situ, so do that one too. When that one goes south, it tends to push oil from the transmission into the transfer-case which causes a lot of leaky transfer-cases after long highway runs. Better safe than sorry. ;)

Even though it's old, there is no reason to let it leak. Leaks if left unchecked can be sources for water ingress and just plain dirt collection which is no fun. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. :thumb-up:

Cheers!

autoguy
05-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Glad it's back together and not a main bearing like I was originally worried of.

When you go to fix the transfer-case bolt, go ahead and get all of the gaskets and seals for the transfer-case. They are cheap and easy to fit so the hardest part really is just getting under there to do the job.

Oh yeah, I was able to replace the transmission output seal with the transfer-case in situ, so do that one too. When that one goes south, it tends to push oil from the transmission into the transfer-case which causes a lot of leaky transfer-cases after long highway runs. Better safe than sorry. ;)

Even though it's old, there is no reason to let it leak. Leaks if left unchecked can be sources for water ingress and just plain dirt collection which is no fun. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. :thumb-up:

Cheers!
:thumb-up:

I'm glad it was something simple too :)

I changed the pan gasket and the gasket that goes between the gearbox and t case, I figure it is the read output seal leaking, that means tear everything back off :(

I also left some tire marks on the driveway too :) i let the clutch out too quick and broke the tires loose :)

Tim Smith
05-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Sounds good but...

...I also left some tire marks on the driveway too :) i let the clutch out too quick and broke the tires loose :)
You will soon learn not to do that any more. :p

Once I get some pictures of them, I'll start a post about all the 10 spline axles I've snapped in the last few months. I think I've gone through 4 of them but have lost count at this point... :mad:

Should be a laugh for some on this forum.

thixon
05-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Sounds good but...

Once I get some pictures of them, I'll start a post about all the 10 spline axles I've snapped in the last few months.

Last few months! Geez, what do you use your truck for? Towing dump trucks?

autoguy
05-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Sounds good but...

Once I get some pictures of them, I'll start a post about all the 10 spline axles I've snapped in the last few months. I think I've gone through 4 of them but have lost count at this point... :mad:

Should be a laugh for some on this forum.

aye crikey, I released the clutch too quick on Ludwig, I will leave the tire mark making to the trans am :D

Tim Smith
05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Last few months! Geez, what do you use your truck for? Towing dump trucks?
Obviously, I use my truck to snap axles. :p

...I will leave the tire mark making to the trans am :D
Ah yes. A trans am would be the correct tool for that job.

autoguy
05-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Obviously, I use my truck to snap axles. :p

Ah yes. A trans am would be the correct tool for that job.

for a good 6 months we had tire marks up our driveway when we where trying to get the trans an running right :) it is a 1979 trans am with a 403 ci engine