PDA

View Full Version : 109 investigation.

Tom Santoli
05-21-2008, 09:54 AM
I recently picked up a 1975 Series III 109 that is currently LHD and powered by a 4 cylinder.

The VIN on the tag inside suggests this was a 6cyl, RHD truck originally and there is a old UK license plate on the front of the truck.

The front chassis rail has been replaced so the numbers from this stamping are unavailable.

What are some ways I can tell if the truck was RHD or LHD, 6cyl or 4cyl and where it was originally sold?

Thanks,

Tom

leafsprung
05-21-2008, 10:15 AM
The VIN is really your key to the information you are seeking. There are features on the truck that suggest its original configuration and where it was sold. As you have already found out, those features are not always consistent with the VIN. The engine and axle numbers may not tell you much either as they may be from other vehicles. Try posting up a few pictures. I can probably tell you if it has a 6 cylinder firewall and other features that may give you some insight.

Tom Santoli
05-31-2008, 08:58 PM
I've attached a few images that I hope will help someone tell me if the 109 was originally a 6 cylinder and whether it was a RHD truck originaly.

One shot is of the front axle reinforcement that I think looks like a one ton front axle, am I right?

I'm also trying to identify the painted image/ emblem on the rear door of the truck, anyone recognize this?

Thanks,

Tom

SafeAirOne
05-31-2008, 10:36 PM
I've attached a few images that I hope will help someone tell me if the 109 was originally a 6 cylinder and whether it was a RHD truck originaly.

Interesting that almost all the views are of little help in identifying the original configuration. ;) An interior shot of the bulkhead "tunnel" forward of the shift levers would identify the original engine, usually. A shot of the LEFT wing would help determine if it used to be a right-hand drive (an original heater intake hole might still be there). This view is probably not necessary however, because it would appear that the truck was likely an original left-hand drive, as evidenced by the steering stabilizer bracket being mounted on the right chassis rail (unless someone ground the welds off and re-welded it on the other side during a conversion--unlikely in my opinion).

One shot is of the front axle reinforcement that I think looks like a one ton front axle, am I right?

I'm not sure about the one ton axle, but other than the angle welded to the bottom of the axle, it looks just like my Rover-type front axle. I'm not familiar with other (1-ton) axle variants, but it is not uncommon to see axle housing protection welded or bolted on like this on other off-road vehicles.

I'm also trying to identify the painted image/ emblem on the rear door of the truck, anyone recognize this?

To me, this is the true sign of a Series Rover. All of our trucks should have this painted on the back. I think it's the international symbol for "When I run out of petrol/diesel or break down, please don't push here to get me to the nearest service station, because it'll dent and warp the heck out of the aluminum door skin."

Just a guess on my part...

Attached is a photo of a 6-cylinder gearbox tunnel. The 4-cylinder should be shaped differently than this.

PS. 1) Interesting Unimog, I think, in the background and 2) Either you parked over a previous puddle or your gas tank is leaking (neither case uncommon for my Rover :D ).

SafeAirOne
05-31-2008, 11:47 PM
The VIN on the tag inside suggests this was a 6cyl, RHD truck originally and there is a old UK license plate on the front of the truck.

What does the UK registration plate on the front read? This should tell you where and when it was first registered in the UK.

For example, mine is GTC18N. Using the handy decoders at http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/reference_and_technical/registration_letter.html
or
http://www.londonbusroutes.net/miscellaneous/regs.htm ,

I can tell by the "TC" that it was first registered at the Lancashire or, more likely, the Bristol registration office. Using the first web site, I can tell by the "N" suffix that it was FIRST REGISTERED in the UK between August 1st 1974 and July 31st 1975, which is about right for my 1973 Rover.

Your suffix should be a "P" or an "R" if the first place it was registered was in the UK.

Hope this helps...

I Leak Oil
06-01-2008, 06:42 AM
That looks like a 6 cylinder bulkhead and the front axle is just a later reinforced unit. Both the engine mounts and steering relay positions are different on the 6 cyl, RHD vs. the current 4 cyl, LHD. Check out the motor mounts on the frame. An amaturish type of craftsmanship will indicate that the chassis may have had a 6 cyl. originally. Since it's got the 6 cyl. bulkhead and a non-original frame you may as well put a bigger engine in it!
Nice truck,
Jason T.

Tom Santoli
06-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the help everyone;

A few more details I've nailed down with the help of the responses;

The left wing has a vent and there is evidence of an old damper bracket welded to the left fram rail (someone relocated it I quess); so I'm confident that this was a RHD vehicle originaly.

The tag on the fron reads HYA597N; Bristol registration from mid 1974-mid 1975, correct?

The VIN is 94200377C; I think the C suffix specifies a twist lock fuel tank sending unit.

BTW, the Unimog is a 1962 404.114 from the Belgian army originaly, it finished its' career as part of the NATO fleet and was in 'active' duty until 1989!

Thanks again,

Tom

SafeAirOne
06-01-2008, 09:29 PM
The tag on the fron reads HYA597N; Bristol registration from mid 1974-mid 1975, correct?

The Date is right but the locality is off. It isnt too clear on the decoder websites I gave in the other post, but the first letter indicates the registration series. The registry office will start off with the letter "A" as the first letter when it issues plates each year. When it runs out of numbers in the "A" series, it moves on to "B" as the first letter, then "C" and so on. The 2nd and 3rd letters ("YA" in your case) indicates the registry office, not the 1st and 2nd letter.

"YA" on a post-1974 vehicle indicates Taunton as the registry office where the vehicle was first registered.

Otherwise, it sounds as if you've got the rest figured out. It seems that your Rover started out life as a completely different Rover (as so many of ours have)! It speaks volumes about the forethought of the original designers with regard to interchangability and adaptibility.