PDA

View Full Version : Layshaft rear bearing race removal?

onecross
05-24-2008, 03:05 PM
any tips on removing the layshaft rear bearing?

Thanks
-Mat

gudjeon
05-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Howdy Mat,

This is best done with the law of hydraulics on your side. Strip the transmission completely. Turn a large hardwood dowel down to size where it is a close fit to the layshaft pocket bearing race. I warmed the trans case up over a woodstove beforehand. Lay the rear part of transmission down on a piece of wood to cushion the blow. Transmission facing up, fill the pocket bearing race with gear oil, insert wood dowel, hit dowel sharply a few times, and presto! This works remarkably well for these types of bearings.

jp-
05-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Excellent advice!

daveb
05-27-2008, 01:27 PM
i've heard of that done with grease.

Excellent advice!

onecross
05-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Howdy Mat,

This is best done with the law of hydraulics on your side. Strip the transmission completely. Turn a large hardwood dowel down to size where it is a close fit to the layshaft pocket bearing race. I warmed the trans case up over a woodstove beforehand. Lay the rear part of transmission down on a piece of wood to cushion the blow. Transmission facing up, fill the pocket bearing race with gear oil, insert wood dowel, hit dowel sharply a few times, and presto! This works remarkably well for these types of bearings.

Thanks it worked like a charm!

-Mat