PDA

View Full Version : Yep - It's Stuck

Bostonian1976
05-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Well after pulling the blue station wagon around with a tractor yesterday in gear (couldn't engage 4wd though), that engine just won't turn over. Rear wheels spun, but one spun one way and one the other. Engine had plenty of Marvel in it (6 months of pumping it in there). What next?

dunerunner
05-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Not knowing what you have done to free-up the enigne before this event, I will offer this advice:

Pull the plugs and fill the upper cylinder with Marvel or PB Blaster. Replace the plugs and allow it to sit at least a week. Try the ''tow trick again. If that doesn't work with the crankcase still filled with the Mystery stuff, decide whether you want to (1) rebuild or (2) purchase a new engine.

You could also try this: Get a 6 pack of PBR, drop the pan and disconnect the connecting rods, pull the head and see if you can get crank and piston movement. Try driving the pistons using a piece of fence post that fits the cylinder and a 20# sledge. Be gentle yet firm as further damage is to be avoided. If something moves, you have more decisions to make, if you drive the post thru a piston seclect option 1 or 2 and consume the PBR. Good Luck!

4flattires
05-26-2008, 10:12 PM
...has it ever run? What are the circumstances of it being stuck and for how long?

Jeff

JimCT
05-27-2008, 04:59 AM
istead of mystery oil, use cheap brake fluid and it willfree the engine right up in a few days

Tim Smith
05-27-2008, 06:22 AM
istead of mystery oil, use cheap brake fluid and it willfree the engine right up in a few days
That is news to me Jim. Is there something about brake fluid that is better than the standard snake oils?

Learning something new everyday. :thumb-up:

As for the stuck motor. Did you have the plugs off while you were pulling the truck around the yard? I'd wonder if the motor could have been hydraulicking with the oil in the cylinders (that may not have leaked through). Also, the back of the truck isn't very heavy and it wouldn't take much to stop the rear wheels from turning in a pulling situation. You *might* want to try putting some weight in there or finding four wheel and then trying again.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers!

Bostonian1976
05-27-2008, 08:49 AM
That is news to me Jim. Is there something about brake fluid that is better than the standard snake oils?

Learning something new everyday. :thumb-up:

As for the stuck motor. Did you have the plugs off while you were pulling the truck around the yard? I'd wonder if the motor could have been hydraulicking with the oil in the cylinders (that may not have leaked through). Also, the back of the truck isn't very heavy and it wouldn't take much to stop the rear wheels from turning in a pulling situation. You *might* want to try putting some weight in there or finding four wheel and then trying again.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers!

thank you! Well the other problem was that the front left part of the frame was coming apart - the spring settled to the point that I couldn't turn the wheel left anymore without putting a wooden block in between the bump stop and the axle. so I'm a little leery of dragging it around a lot more (but it would probably be fine).

brake fluid eh? I will try that.

The plugs were off while I was doing this (in fact now I'm worried that I didn't put them back in - doh)

Bostonian1976
05-27-2008, 08:56 AM
...has it ever run? What are the circumstances of it being stuck and for how long?

Jeff

I believe it last ran in 1981 (inspection sticker)

jp-
05-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Don't put the plugs back in, until the engine is free. There is no need, you'll only add to the resistance of getting it to turn.

leafsprung
05-27-2008, 10:27 AM
sometimes they are just stuck. Even if you do happen to get it free, if there is that much rust in the bores, it probably needs to come apart anyway so its time wasted jerking it around.

jp-
05-27-2008, 12:37 PM
sometimes they are just stuck. Even if you do happen to get it free, if there is that much rust in the bores, it probably needs to come apart anyway so its time wasted jerking it around.

Yeah, but it's so much fun!

dunerunner
05-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Yeah, but it's so much fun!

And it's a good way to shake loose all the questionable frame parts! In this case, it sounds like most of the left front end.

I didn't notice, did you post any pics of you draging the Landy about with the tractor? :thumb-up:

BirdNerd
05-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Jason,

You should take it back to the guy you bought it from and demand 1/2 of your money back!!!!

If he's a stand up guy, he'll give it to you!!

:p

BN

Bostonian1976
05-28-2008, 04:06 PM
I didn't notice, did you post any pics of you draging the Landy about with the tractor? :thumb-up:

ha no I was too busy chasing it trying to see if the fan was turning!!

Bostonian1976
05-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Jason,

You should take it back to the guy you bought it from and demand 1/2 of your money back!!!!

If he's a stand up guy, he'll give it to you!!

:p

BN

maybe I'll just leave the engine on his lawn! He rebuilt a lightweight, so I'm sure he could put it back together and make it run! :)