PDA

View Full Version : SRS light on!

KSMTAW
05-28-2008, 04:48 AM
Hello,

My truck did not pass state inspeciton because the SRS light will not go out. I then took it to the dealer and they hooked it up to a computer and told me I need a new SRS harness!

Has anyone had to replace a harness?
Has anyone had any luck getting one of these lights to go out?

Thanks-
Todd

wRek
05-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Mine is also on, and has been for months.

Bump for an answer.

ptschram
06-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Todd:
Did they by chance tell you where the harness had failed? Replacing SRS harnesses is a nightmare given the fact that to do it correctly and avoid future liability issues, it is necessary to replace it in its entirety. I'd be curious to find why they felt it necesary, versus a component failure.

wRek:
The most common reason for an SRS light to be illuminated is due to low cranking voltage during starting. In any case, a Rover-specific diagnostic tool will be required to either reset the light or diagnose the reasons for its illumination.

PT

KSMTAW
06-09-2008, 04:53 AM
Thanks for your reply. I should probably go back to them and ask for more details. It woudl be nice if it was just a sensor or component versus the entire wiring harness.

I wonder if a short in one of the wires would cause the whole harness to look bad on a diagnositc computer.

Todd

ptschram
06-09-2008, 06:44 AM
I don't have as much experience with the earlier rigs, but in later models, the SRS diagnostics (at least the Rovacom-lite and hand-held T4) give a pretty good indication as to where the problem lies.

Best case, it involves the steering wheel arrangement as there are components that are easily replaced here.

Well, let me restate the first sentence. I have not had to same success of being able to communicate with the ECU on the earlier trucks. For some reason, the Disco SRS ECU seems to have a high failure rate with respect to diagnostic communications.

Cheers,
PT

AussieSuede
12-19-2008, 11:19 PM
For those who don't intend on actually fixing a technical issue with the SRS light illuminating, I'll share how to at least extinguish the light.

1. Unscrew the two screws which hold the instrument cluster shroud (They are located just above the steering column) and lift up the instrument cluster shroud.

2. Unplug the 9 wire connectors which connect to the switches that are located on the shroud (Defroster, Rear Wiper, Fog light, etc) Then remove the shroud completely and sit it aside.

3. Next, unscrew the 4 screws which hold the instrument cluster and lift up the instrument cluster. Unplug the 4 wires connectors & single ground wire plug and remove the instrument cluster.

4. Locate the 'twist' bulb at the top of the cluster that match's up to the 'SRS' and unscrew the bulb.

Problem of the annoying bulb solved. Be aware that there might be a problem that cause your SRS system not to function in the event of an accident. In that case, you'll be driving around in a manner that your parents did for the majority of their lives prior to the invention of airbags. Seemed good enough for the parents, so it's good enough for me...;)

The whole process took me about 20 minutes to take apart, and 10 to reassemble. I could likely cut that time in half now that I know exactly where everything is. In other words, it's an easy enough task for a 9 year old to tackle.

SGFMORover
12-20-2008, 12:13 AM
worthwhile tip! thanks! incidentally my light came on the day after I wrecked the rover, the first time, (sensors crushed airbags didn't deploy) go figure had they worked it probably would've hurt me worse. all i did was drop it on its nose off the steep side of a creek bed...

airbags - rubbish! i'm in a rover! put me in a chevy aveo and i'll beg for em, but not in the beast!