PDA

View Full Version : 1973 MOD light weight stalling at stops

derekchace
05-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Hey guys just bought my first Series Rover! well thats great bad news is it runs great at idel and if i just drive it around the hosue. But on a trip over 30 minutes when i stop at stop light or signs it stalls. any idea's I think its something with the carb, I dont know if i should just have some one how know rovers in burlington vt take a look at the adjustment or looking getting the carb replaced any help would be great
Derek

xsbowes
05-30-2008, 07:09 AM
What type of carb does it have? Did you check fuel filter.

Les Parker
05-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Aw well as which carb do you have, what idle speed do you have it set at?
Which dist. do you have?
Is it 12v or 24v?
Is the accel. pedal loose in its bracket?
Please advise,

greenmeanie
05-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Do a basic tune up to give yourself a baseline to start diagnosing your problem. The cheap stuff is:
- Valve gaps.
- Plug condition and gap. Check the colour too. If they are really sooty and black your running too rich.
- If your unfortunate to still have points then set the gap and look at the condition of the rotor and dizzy contacts while your in there.
- Set the timing to whatever your manual tells you.
- Now try setting up the carb per your manual. IIRC the idle should be 825rpm but, again, check that against your manual. Also check that hthe choke fully disengages when the knob is pushed home.

- Pull the air filter and engine breathers and clean them.
- Pull any fuel filters and clean/replace them. Don't forget to look at the gauze at the top of the glass bowl on the pump.

If that does not solve it then you know have a good place to start to fix the problem. It is also a great time to become familiar with your truck rather than giving someone else your hard earned money. Unless you are a rich man you WILL become very familiar with your engine over time.

If it is stalling at idle it doesn't sound as if you have fuel starvation as that usually manifests itself as the engine falling flat/dying at higher rpm.

Cheers
Gregor

derekchace
05-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Its 24v 2.5 petrol gas pedel does not feel or lose. Just bought it and know very little about rovers this is my first, coming over from the jaguar world. I have a friend that know rovers he seems to think the carb might not be adjusted right and it might need a tune up. so we will see ill check on the type of carb thanks for all the help guys

pvkd
06-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I had this problem too. If you have a Zenith carb then I would suspect an air leak in the joint between the top and bottom of the carb. Purchase a gasket kit from our hosts and lap the two halfs on a sheet of 180 grit paper attached to a flat surface (like a piece of glass). Lapping will help to get the two halves as flat as possible reducing any warpage you may have (know problem with the carb).

The results are a much better hot start and no stalling at lights.

Tim Smith
06-01-2008, 11:21 PM
As one lightweight owner to another, I gotta tell you. I have no idea why these things do this. Annoying, eh?

Just kidding!

Give her a tune up. The 2.5 is just like the 2.25. They like the owners to touch them up. Once you figure out the basic tune up steps, you'll be well on your way to figure out these kinds of problems in a snap.

My best advice is to get the green bible.