PDA

View Full Version : Need to do a starter change on a 1960 Series

VTRover
06-01-2008, 12:25 PM
I assume that the downpipe has to come out. Does anyone have some tips on how to make the change go smoothly? It's a friends car who needs it changed quickly where it sits - so any advice or procedures would be appreciated.

Hope to see everyone in Stowe next weekend!

I Leak Oil
06-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Just loosen the nuts that hold the down pipe to the manifold and you should be able to move it enough to remove the starter. If you can get a sIII starter or a high torque unit then your friend won't have to do this in the future.

dunerunner
06-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Replaced my stock starter with a mean green high torque starter three years ago and could not be happier. Simple, straight forward replacement. http://www.mean-green.com/ :thumb-up:

VTRover
06-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I can't see the bolts - where and how many?

I Leak Oil
06-01-2008, 01:54 PM
You can't see what bolts?
Jason T.

VTRover
06-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Changed! Thanks.

daveb
06-03-2008, 08:09 AM
congrats. did you have to move the pipe? I found that I could remove both types of starter without releasing the downpipe in any way. just had to move the steering wheel to get the steerinmg box drop arm out of the way.

Changed! Thanks.

Tim Smith
06-03-2008, 09:06 AM
congrats. did you have to move the pipe? I found that I could remove both types of starter without releasing the downpipe in any way. just had to move the steering wheel to get the steerinmg box drop arm out of the way.
I was able to pull my starter on the lightweight which has the SS exhaust sold from our hosts. It was a real head scratcher though. I think the SS exhaust is basically a 2.5 exhaust and it's a bigger pipe which was taking up that little hair of room needed.

Replaced with a gear reduction starter and it went in with no problems.

willy510
07-20-2008, 09:18 PM

I'm glad I saw that tip, it worked great. Old starter had just enough room to come out and the new mini starter went right in and works like a charm without undoing anything but the starter.