PDA

View Full Version : Pulling engine advice

bearcrawl
06-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Think I am going to pull the engine this week. I want to get into the clutch and reseal the motor. Don't really need to, but for some reason I want to.
Is there anything you guys think I should do while it's out? Seals are easy, thinking about the oil pump, My truck Idles @ 25# and runs @ about 40# of oil pressure. Sounds a little light but doesn't seem to be a crisis.
Looks pretty straight forward. Anything tricky I should know about?
Thanks in advance as usual

thixon
06-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Clean and paint? Chase leaks?

Most anything you could do (without cracking her open) is just as easy with the motor in place.

jp-
06-02-2008, 10:01 AM
After you remove all the things in the way (radiator, exhaust, air cleaner, etc...), unbolt the rubber engine supports from the engine mounts. Then jack up the engine and trans about an inch and place a board in between the trans bellhousing and the frame crossmember. Lower the engine slightly so the transmission rests on the board, then unbolt the engine and remove.

For re-assembly one of those engine angling devices would be very helpful.

luckyjoe
06-03-2008, 08:44 AM
If you're going to pull the engine, then do the clutch and rear main seal. Check the flywheel to see if you have the hole pattern for a 9.5" clutch - this is a worthwhile upgrade.

Regards,

singingcamel
06-04-2008, 04:12 PM
clutch replacement is a real good idea when the engine is out as noted above.
put your engine on a motor stand, it will be easier to work on.
check your motor mounts
replace the intermediate hose on the water pump if you take the water pump off.

Willard
06-05-2008, 07:31 AM
As Singingcamel said check your motor mounts.

Engine stands are about 50-90 bucks. I bought a cheap Harbor freight one and it held the engine (as well as a Mercedes 5 cyl) without a problem.
Paint it seal it I would change the oil pan seal just cus i had it out.

Clean your engine bay as well this is a good time to give the whole area a cleanup and maybe repaint any frame parts that need it (if yours is not Galvanized)