PDA

View Full Version : Series 3 109 front blinker issue

TCapelle
06-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Quick question or advice about a front blinker issue on my series 111 109.

I have been able to measure a pulsating voltage at the socket however tried a few bulbs with no blink.

If the socket is warn and the bulb is not making a good connection what options might be worth trying? Dialeletric grease? a little solder?

The socket screws are pretty much rusted tight so removal is an option but hoping to fix the existing socket

Any other ideas?

Thx Tim

S3 109 3 door
98 disco
90 county
40's farmall A (to pull out the stuck rovers)

4flattires
06-01-2008, 10:05 PM
If your socket is warm, then it is producing resistance. Adding to that, if the socket is rusty then bypass the socket with wires and ensure the circuit works.

Ground the side of the bulb. Run 12v to the center contact of the bulb. If that works, then you can solve the socket problem with your choice of various aftermarket replacement sockets and some ingenuity.

Jeff

Tim Smith
06-02-2008, 02:31 AM
I imagine you are talking about the military style screw-in glass covers as being rusted tight.

First thought is kick the light. Yup, kick it. You might just get that old connection to work again. Kick it a few times but don't wallop it with a bat or anything so drastic.

If that fails, then you have to unscrew the glass. Use whatever means necessary but remember that you are dealing with glass. The old rusty female end might need some coxing with oil, or manhandling or just kicking again.

Sorry. In a bit of a mood tonight.

Kick it!

jp-
06-02-2008, 10:06 AM
If the socket itself is corroded, but you want to try and save it, use a wire brush on a drill. I have found that a small fine bristled wire brush (mounted in a drill) will clean up socket interiors very well. After it is clean and you have light, coat the inside with grease. Problem fixed!

KevinNY
06-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Check the ground wire for corrosion before doing anything else.

dunerunner
06-02-2008, 12:20 PM
I have been able to measure a pulsating voltage at the socket however tried a few bulbs with no blink.
Are you using the socket as the ground source? If not, try it as the ground connection could be at fault. If the voltage signal is present and the lamps do not function it is a lamp to socket connection problem.

If the socket is worn and the bulb is not making a good connection what options might be worth trying? Dialeletric grease? a little solder?
I would try cleaning and restoring the socket with light applications of solder to the jacket interior if saving it is what you desire? I have had limited success with this method. There are replacements available!

Good Luck Tim

Scott
109 SII Regular