PDA

View Full Version : Soft clutch all of a sudden-series 111 109

TCapelle
06-02-2008, 10:19 PM
My series 111 109 has a real soft clutch all of a sudden and will not shift without grinding gears.

I checked the reservoir and it looks a bit low.

1. Is it manadatory to use the Lucas/Gridling fluid? Or can I use Dot 3 fluid?

2. How do I go about trying to find the leak if there is one? At first check I don't see any real noticeable leaks (to many drive train leaks ......

3. Can I simply fill the reservior or do I need to bleed the system?
Any tricks on bleeding?

Thx,
Tim

scott
06-03-2008, 06:04 AM
fill the resi and bleed it. i cut a 7/16 wrench in half to accomidate the tight space but mines a iia and the slaves are differant. as for leaks i've seen the flex line going to the slave weap. no specific leak just wet all over. you might want to look at replacing that.

daveb
06-03-2008, 08:03 AM
if it is leaking then ther eis a part that is worn out and needs replacing. slave cylinders and flex lines are cheap. but first make sure that is really the problem. fill it up, bleed it, and see if it goes bad again. master cylinders can leak too, look for fluid dripping down the pedal. or the firewall inside the truck, or in the engine bay.

use lucas/girling, or castrol gtlma fluid. nothing else not even other dot 4 brands. period.

My series 111 109 has a real soft clutch all of a sudden and will not shift without grinding gears.

I checked the reservoir and it looks a bit low.

1. Is it manadatory to use the Lucas/Gridling fluid? Or can I use Dot 3 fluid?

2. How do I go about trying to find the leak if there is one? At first check I don't see any real noticeable leaks (to many drive train leaks ......

3. Can I simply fill the reservior or do I need to bleed the system?
Any tricks on bleeding?

Thx,
Tim

msggunny
06-03-2008, 08:38 AM
How old is the master and slave?

I just put in a new clutch, master, slave and hose and it works 100% better. The slave was so gunked up and scored it barely worked and the master wasnt much better.

Bleed and check, then if its still crap you can either get a rebuild kit or just get new. If your bores are scored really badly a rebuild kit wont fix it.

Tim Smith
06-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm betting that the sudden soft clutch is a bad flex line. After you figure it out and fix it, make sure you use the lucas/girling, or castrol gtlma fluid.

Good luck.

LaneRover
06-03-2008, 12:56 PM
How sudden?

I would also check the pins that connect the clutch actuating arm to the clutch. They can wear or break.

Brent