PDA

View Full Version : engine skipping ?

dickskipjack
06-04-2008, 03:54 PM
i have a 92 classic with 138,000 miles on it, in the last 6 months the engine skips violently at 1800 to 2000 rpm, mostly on slight downgrade.

i have had the transmission checked out, changed the oil in the transfer case twice. plugs are brand new, wires and distributor cap are two years old.

this problem seems to happen much more frequently when engine is warmed up.

don't we all love intermittent problems!!

If any of you folk have an idea as to what I may be dealing with, please let me know.

I am a long time owner, bought a 73 series 3 new, and sold it with 340,000 miles on it for $12000, I put a new frame under it and rebuilt the engine twice. Believe it or not, I still love Land Rover vehicles

thanks in advance for any advice.

just tugging along

ptschram
06-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Sounds like a fuel supply issue to me. Might check fuel pump wiring and condition of fuel tank. Any chance it's slightly crunched?

Condition of ignition rotor?

dickskipjack
06-06-2008, 08:23 AM
fuel pump is new 3 years ago, fuel filter 2 months ago,

you could be right, rotor button had white dust on it when i checked last week, brushed it off with sandpaper.

i am thinking of getting new distrubutor cap, rotor, and plug wires, can't hurt.

Thanks for the suggestioons

dickskipjack
06-08-2008, 12:29 PM
I may have found my own problem,

looking at distributor yesterday, noticed that vacuum advance piston was loose on side of distributor.

using a torx driver bit and small vise grips, tightened both bolts and test drove for about 25 miles, and could not recreate problem.

thinking back, the fact the problem was worse on slight downgrade when the unit would have little manifold vacuum to assist and "stabilize" the vacuum lever arm, it all seems to make sense.

i will still get new cap rotor and wires and install. hopefully i did no damage to internal components.

for fellow rover owners with same system, be aware of these small bolts, i intend to remove and replace each individually, after coating with Loctite.

Tuggin along