PDA

View Full Version : replacing u-joints

derek
06-10-2008, 10:37 PM
So i need to replace the u joints and I saw an alternate part of precision 369 on lrfaq.org

Has anyone installed this alternate part and what were the results.

Would it be better to have a local shop install these so they can make sure everything is balanced properly or because it is extreme hard to get the new ones in without a press.

4flattires
06-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Naaah.

Press? Nope, never used one in 30 years.

Mark the yoke and shaft with a crayon or tape for reference. Use a socket to press out with your vice, then press the new one in.

Done.

Jeff

thixon
06-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Naaah.

Press? Nope, never used one in 30 years.

Mark the yoke and shaft with a crayon or tape for reference. Use a socket to press out with your vice, then press the new one in.

Done.

Jeff

Agreed. I've used the same trick a hundred times. Works great.

adkrover
06-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Same. Just be sure to have a good vise that will push the caps straight. If it gets at all sideways, it will get hung up.

SafeAirOne
06-11-2008, 09:07 PM
For what it's worth, I've also used big "C" clamps and a socket. Much easier to take on an expedition for field repairs than a vise or hydraulic press too!

As far as the precision 369 joints go, this is a familiar number...I wish I could remember if this was the part number for my rover or a military non-rover truck I used to own. I'll check and post what I find...

derek
06-12-2008, 04:35 PM
doh, looks like PDQ and GNB are the only brands available in my area.

Anyone know the equivalent part # for those brands

I Leak Oil
06-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Not sure about the cross reference but NAPA has them as NUJ-369. They are very common and I think, don't quote me here, they were used on 70's era chevy pickups. I've also used the socket and vice technique for many years and even used the socket and oversized deep socket with hammer technique with good results. Just take your time and don't beat the heck out of the yokes.
Jason T.

SafeAirOne
06-13-2008, 09:18 AM
I just found the box for my replacement universal joints--They are GKN brand with a part number of "U 100". These are the larger joints (3 7/32" cap-to-cap). I've had them installed for probably 4 years with no difficulty; For a while I was doing some pretty heavy-duty off-roading in harsh conditions.

There are smaller ones that are 2 5/16" cap-to-cap, used on series II and some IIas, but I don't have that part #. I know that the precision 369's are pretty big joints. You don't mention what type rover you have.

Any auto parts store should be able to cross-reference the part #s. As far as rover suppliers go, it would appear that there is a great difference in price, depending on where you get them. One supplier has them for $15.50/ea another for over $65.00.