PDA

View Full Version : Radius arm bushing bolts

KSMTAW
06-11-2008, 04:47 AM
I am having a hard time getting the radius arm pivot to axel bolts out. I got the forward one out, but the aft one is sticking in the drivers side hole and the passenger side aft one is hitting against the upper sway bar.

I guess I need to drop the sway bar.

Has anyone else had to drop the sway bar to get the radius arms off?

Thanks-
Todd

ptschram
06-11-2008, 08:56 AM
You will also need to drop the track rod as both the track rod and the sway bar will interfere with removal.

W/R/T the stuck bolts, it is not at all uncommon for the bolts to seize in the sleeve that runs through the bushing. Sometimes,this can mislead one into believing that the bolt will be an easy removal, but trust me it is not!

In the case of the bolt seizing in the bushing, I have found it is easiest to use a cut-off wheel to cut the bolt between the mount and the radius arm. A 3" wheel is barely big enough with a new wheel, a 4" works pretty well, much better than a torch or sawz-all IMO.

Upon reassembly, a ratchet strap will be your friend to get things realigned The axle WILL move while the radius arms are off, the ratchet strap will allow for moving the axle while maintaining the fine control needed to get the bolt holes to line up. It's not a bad job, but the first time, it might frustrate you at first.

Good luck, the improvement in handling and control is well worth the trouble,

KSMTAW
06-16-2008, 04:54 AM
Radius arms are off, panhard rod is off, track rod is off, drag link is off, steering stabilzer is loose and hanging- I did have to cut one of the radius arm pivot bolts. It did sieze to one of the bushings. I used a sawzall with a long blade. It took about five minutes per cut- and all of my muscle! But what a releif when it finaly broke free.

I will have the old bushings pressed out and new ones pressed in today. I also am puttin on four new tie rod ends.

This job reminds me of swapping out the springs on my 1970 IIA 88.

Todd