PDA

View Full Version : Military bumper over riders

greenmeanie
06-11-2008, 06:06 PM
The big question is whether they are worth adding? I see a few trucks with them and was contemplating if they actually provide any additional protection over a stock bumper. It would seem that they will just fold back if hit on something. I rather like the look but can't be bothered chasing a set down if they are only a cosmetic thing.

Cheers
Gregor

Jim-ME
06-11-2008, 07:11 PM
His question X 2
Jim

leafsprung
06-11-2008, 07:21 PM
the bumper is the weak part, they dont add structure to the bumper but do add more protection to the fender . . . for whatever that is worth.

autoguy
06-11-2008, 10:39 PM
they are good for siting on :)

KevinNY
06-11-2008, 10:55 PM
The stock bumper corners fold like envelopes if you hit something.

greenmeanie
06-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Ah yes, but I was planning on going with one of Ike's finest in the bumper department. That'll be a while as I'm destroying my bank account on other areas of the truck right now.

As for the overriders, I think I'll save my cash right now and figure out if I need them once the rest of the truck is done. More important things for my money await.

Cheers
Gregor

leafsprung
06-12-2008, 06:35 AM
http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/products/bumpers/chucksbumper.jpg

scott
06-12-2008, 09:13 AM
The stock bumper corners fold like envelopes if you hit something.

yea but they fold back just as easy

Les Parker
06-12-2008, 09:54 AM
My take on it is :- they were usefull for pushing other non-mobile vehicles out of the way, as the rear bumpers can be of different heights, the extra given by the addition of the over-riders was very handy for this, also on some of the ambulances a slightly different version was used to protect the funky blue capped fog/driving lamps.

Just my 2p

TeriAnn
06-12-2008, 01:00 PM
My take on it is :- they were usefull for pushing other non-mobile vehicles out of the way, as the rear bumpers can be of different heights, the extra given by the addition of the over-riders was very handy for this, also on some of the ambulances a slightly different version was used to protect the funky blue capped fog/driving lamps.

To that I'll ad d they provide a bit more brush protection.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/GRplate.JPEG

To that I've added a cheapo 1 inch dia iron water pipe. Weak in itself, but strong enough to push brush out of the way and a lot stronger than having a branch strike an unprotected wing panel.

jp-
06-16-2008, 01:36 PM
TeriAnn,

Here is another option instead of the 1" pipe.

SafeAirOne
06-16-2008, 02:10 PM
TeriAnn, Here is another option instead of the 1" pipe.

HA! I love it. You almost had me on that one. I even had a witty remark half-typed...

LaneRover
06-16-2008, 07:48 PM
TeriAnn,

Here is another option instead of the 1" pipe.

Shouldn't they go under the bumper to push rocks away from the delicate tires?