PDA

View Full Version : Good roof rack suggestions?

adkrover
06-14-2008, 10:04 AM
I am looking for a good rack to install on my 109. My garage door is exactly the right height as long as I have a full tank of gas and the rear spare mounted so adding a permanent rack is not an option. I don't park the truck in the garage on a regular basis but it is nice to bring it in for maintenance and repairs. I'd like to find a 3/4 or full length rack that I can easily remove by myself without too much trouble. Any suggestions?

scott
06-14-2008, 11:50 AM
even a light wieght aluminum rack is going to be hard to handle by yourself. i don't have a rack yet but my plan is a simple block & tackle in the tree next to my drive. then i could just pull under the tree hook up, disconnect the supports, pull it up, tie it off, drive into the garage and then go back and lower the rack to the ground.

I Leak Oil
06-14-2008, 02:17 PM
My garage door is exactly the right height as long as I have a full tank of gas and the rear spare mounted so adding a permanent rack is not an option.

Good decision not to go with a brownchurch or other type of more permantent rack as when the seams on your tank DO leak you'll be SOL!
On a more serious note, I'd imagine you'd be better off with a cross bar and basket type of system so you can remove the basket without removing the roof mounts. Unless you really "need" it you're better off without the roof rack all together though.
Jason T.

adkrover
06-15-2008, 03:22 PM
I figure on using either the winch in a tree or my compact backhoe to remove the rack so no problem on that. I also figure on the crossbar/basket type because of the easy gutter mounts. I was just hoping to find someone who could recommend a good quality, solid unit that has the same kind of look as the Brownchurch and other older style racks.

I Leak Oil
06-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Unfortunately I don't think you'll find one that "looks" like the brownchurch through the regular sources. You could build one or have one built for you.
If you do we'll need pictures of course!
Jason T.

pvkd
06-16-2008, 11:21 AM
What about a Rovers North rack?