PDA

View Full Version : Rewiring-Fuse Block Location

zayante
06-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I let too much of the smoke out of my wires, and am now set to replace the harness and fuse block in my Series IIA with a new one. I was thinking, since there are so many hacks and add-on things (GM 2.5, extra gauges, electric fan, lighting relays, no voltage regulator, etc.) that getting a generic hot rod/truck harness and GM fuse block might be a reasonable idea. Having more fuses seems appealing, too. I'm looking at Hot Rod Wires or Painless for kits.

Has anyone out there done this? Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

The GM 12- or 18-fuse blocks are fairly large, and I'm trying to figure out where the best place to locate one might be. So far, the best spot seems to be left of the steering column on the dash. It means not converting to a late S IIA wiper motor down the road...maybe the alternate would be to put the fuses on the passenger side, or (?).

Chris

Tim Smith
06-16-2008, 06:56 AM
I think the use of an aftermarket fuse block might be a bit of a personal decision. It's all doable but which plan best suits your needs.

You might want to sit down and start writing down the different services you want or need to run. Then you'll have a base line for making your decision.

Sorry, probably not the answer you were looking for.

Mercedesrover
06-16-2008, 07:36 AM
I’m not a big fan of Land Rover/Lucas wiring systems and like to replace everything with common parts wherever possible.

Tim’s suggestion of sitting down and figuring out what systems you need to power and start drawing yourself a wiring map. It’s also a good idea to move everything vulnerable out of harms way.

In the 109 I’m building right now I’ve installed a generic fuse block under the seat alongside the battery. I’ve also incorporated relays for the four headlights, and the electric cooling fan as well as a 250amp Mega-Fuse, a battery disconnect and a starter relay to power the glow plugs.

http://seriestrek.com/109/body11.jpg

thixon
06-16-2008, 07:39 AM
I've done it in other vehicles, but not a rover (yet). I can't imagine it being any harder for a series than others I've completed (which were pretty easy). I generally like to lay the whole thing out on the floor next to the truck, and then begin planning what I'll need, and how I plan to run everything on a sheet of paper.

As for the size of the fuse block, a company called EZ-wiring has a harness with a mini fuse block. I think painless also has something similar. That option might make it easier to decide on where to locate the block. I don't know of any drawbacks to going with the mini block, so do some research before you buy. I've known people who went that route with the EZ-wiring kit, and never heard them complain.

Good luck.

thixon
06-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Mercedesrover,

I love that setup. I guess I know how I plan to run mine now!

Great work.

Tim Smith
06-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Mercedesrover,

I love that setup. I guess I know how I plan to run mine now!

Great work.2X!

No, really, that is some nice work Jim. :thumb-up:

zayante
06-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Jim-

That's great! Thanks for the pic.

Chris