X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • naipokrob
    Low Range
    • Aug 2007

Transmission Fluid Question?

I would like to change my transmission fluid on my 04 Disco and was thinking about using Mobil 1 ATF Synthetic fluid. I bought my Disco used at 47k miles and I do not really know if the previous owner serviced the transmission. My question then, can I use the synthetic fluid in the transmission at 63k miles (the mileage now) or do you even recommend using this fluid at this mileage. I say this because I've read elsewhere that its is not recommended to use a fully synthetic fluid or in some cases swap out fluid and filter at high mileages. I appreciate any information anyone can provide.
  • KeizerRover
    Low Range
    • Feb 2008

I have been told, don't know how accurate it is, that once one gets over about 50K, not to switch to synthetic. Doing a flush is not recommended either. It has been recommended to drain the fluid and put in a new filter, however. Just put in the factory recommended fluid and you should be good.

At least that is what I have been told.
    Ken
    2000 Disco II

Comment

• David Minchew
      Low Range
      • Oct 2008

How complicated is it to check, or add transmission fluid? I need help. I have a 2001 discovery

Comment

• KeizerRover
        Low Range
        • Feb 2008

It is not that difficult, but you need to go under the vehicle to do either action. There is an access screw/bolt at the front top of the transmission case that you need to remove to check and/or add fluid.

Hope it helps.
        Ken
        2000 Disco II

Comment

• Medic51
          Low Range
          • Oct 2008

Good Read

Thanks for the info. Aways wondered where to check the trans fluid.

Comment

Working...