PDA

View Full Version : chassis paint

yank
06-24-2008, 02:38 PM
My chassis is pretty well preserved under a thick coating of oil. I installed a new outrigger and am wondering what I should paint it and the the frame with? POR15?

thixon
06-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Rattle cans won't stand up as well as a good 2k automotive grade paint, but there are a bunch out there marketed as "Chassis Paint". I've used eastwoods "chassis black" in the rattle can before. It did okay, but was no match for a 2K product in terms of abrasion resistance. Problem with the 2K's is isocyanates in the hardeners (which can F you up royally if they get in your system).

All that being said, there is a product sold through tractor supply called trailer or implement paint. Its sold in quarts and gallons, and you can buy a hardener to go with it. I tried it on a portion of my frame, and it came out great. It took about a week and a half to really harden up, but once it did I was very pleased. It seems to be really abrasion resistant. Thats a lower cost option than taking a trip to your local automotive paint store. The hardener does have iso's in it, so if you go that route, read up on how to protect yourself.

POR 15 is some weird stuff. Its thick, and hard as a rock once it dries. The only complaint I have with it is that it does'nt do well against UV, so they recommend topcoating it with a paint of some kind. The POR 15 paint products are, in my opinion, no better than automotive grade 2K paint products. They also contain iso's, so again, read up about how to protect yourself.

Mercedesrover needs to weigh in on this. I beleive he's in the paint and body business, and knows his stuff.

LaneRover
06-24-2008, 04:21 PM
My chassis is pretty well preserved under a thick coating of oil. I installed a new outrigger and am wondering what I should paint it and the the frame with? POR15?

Is there a way to deflect some of the oil that is already coating everything else to the new part that rusted from lack of it. ;-P

yank
06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
I have some of the valspar paint from tractor supply, HI white is a close match to limestone. It dries super hard.
I have to say I'm impressed with the oil coating, Most of the frame is in great shape. Maybe a recoat of oil after the valspar is the way to go.

thixon
06-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Take a look at Zero Rust. It comes in spray cans, and is alot cheaper than POR. It also has no Iso's, and is supposed to be just as effective as POR.