PDA

View Full Version : 1970 series IIa clutch problem

yarborc
06-25-2008, 07:21 PM
It's been a while since my last post but have a question about a clutch problem. I drove my rover around yesterday a while and went to start it up this afternoon and the clutch has no pressure. I then noticed under it I had a small pool of what appeared to be castrol break fluid. Do you guys have any pointers as to where I might start trouble shooting this problem? Thanks

SafeAirOne
06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
The clutch system is very simple, really. The clutch master cylinder (actuated by the clutch pedal assembly) sends fluid through hard and flexible lines to the slave cylinder (attached to the bellhousing on the transmission), which engages and disengages the clutch.

At least one of these 3 things are leaking. Determine which one and replace it, then bleed the system.

Tim Smith
06-26-2008, 08:56 AM
My bet is the clutch master but being that this is a IIa, you have the shared reservoir, right? That means it could be the master brake cylinder or the reservoir it's self. On the shared reservoir the clutch picks up higher up than the brakes which is kind of a warning for you. So once your clutch goes, you know to check the fluid level and identify any issues you might be having before your brakes go out.

Unfortunately, it makes things a little bit trickier to figure out when you do have a leak.

Just trace back the leak and you'll figure it out.

Cheers,
Tim

adkrover
06-27-2008, 06:51 AM
I recently was getting fluid on my interior floor panel and found it was running down the clutch pedal from the master cylinder. My guess is if it's showing on the ground that it is not the clutch master. But it could be the brake master, the reservoir (unless it's been upgraded to a Series III like mine) or the slave. My vote is the slave. Get under there with a rag and dry up whatever you can, lay out clean newspaper on the ground under the area to show the drips, fill the reservoir and then get inside and pump the clutch several times and try holding it to the floor for a minute to keep pressure on the lines. You should then be able to get under it and figure out the source. If you still can't tell, then pull the front fender (wing) to get a better look at the works.

yarborc
06-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try and figure out the source of the leak over the weekend. What is the best way to get a good look at the slave cylinder... do I have to pull the wing or is there an easier way to get to it. Thanks

yarborc
06-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I also noticed looking under the rover that there appears to be some sort of red fluid on the under carriage as well. I'm not very mechanically inclined on working on the rover... this is a new experience me so thanks for all the help.

Rineheitzgabot
06-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Where, exactly is the spot of Girling on the floor, in relationship to the vehicle? Don't worry about the red right now.

If the spot is on the ground, below the clutch pedal, or thereabouts, it could be the master (or fittings on the master). If it is on the ground below the curbside of the transmission (assuming it is a left-hand-drive) it could be the slave (or fittings on the slave). As "Safe..." stated above, the master and slave are connected, so if the Girling is on the ground between the two, stated locations, then the leak is in the line, somewhere.

The red may be a previous owner's mistake (which should be fixed), or a fluid that is normally another color, but has been tinted by some other phenomenon/ reaction.

SafeAirOne
06-28-2008, 08:43 AM
I also noticed looking under the rover that there appears to be some sort of red fluid on the under carriage as well.

In my experience, the only red fluid found anywhere on a series rover is blood from bashed knuckles! ;)