PDA

View Full Version : another paint ?

yank
06-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Can paint bought from a auto body supply shop be brushed or rolled on? Someday I'll spray it but for now I need a cheep alternative.

thixon
06-26-2008, 08:11 AM
It can be rolled or brushed, but its not a good idea. If you do it, pay attention to the flash time for the paint you buy. Obvioulsy, you want a long flash time and pot life, otherwise, the paint will harden up on you before you finish rolling/brushing. Tell the guy at the paint shop what your up to.

If you're after a really cheap alternative, I think the following would work better for you. If there's an ACE hardware in your area, go there, and buy their rust stop brand of paint. They do tinting, so you don't have to settle for a color thats close. Its cheap, and actually looks okay. It will take forever to dry, so keep that in mind. A buddy of mine just did an fj-40 with it. It came out okay. The only thing I'll warn against is that I doubt it will last long.

You probably already know this, but you could always head down to harbor freight and buy a cheap spray gun? You could rent a compressor if you don't have one, and knock out the job quick.

Good luck.

Tim Smith
06-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Sure you can roll it on but do you know how much paint costs nowadays? I doubt rolling it on is going to be a cheaper alternative because you'll be planning on repainting it in the future. And it will look like... well.. a rolled on coat of paint.

A decent HVLP gun is only going to be around $100 and should give you excellent results so long as you prep well. Figure another $20 or so for a good mask and tyvek paint suit plus a couple of those throw away water separators for the air line and you are all set. No air compressor, rent one for the day.

AND PLEASE TAPE OFF YOUR GALVY TRIM! I hate it when that gets painted over (my current truck's windscreen is a case in point).:nono:

Cheers,
Tim

daveb
06-26-2008, 08:28 AM
once upon a time ALL vehicles were brush painted.

I rattle-canned my 109 but brushing does sound enjoyable and worthwile.

http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/Series/Other.paint.Brush.html

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/index.html

good luck and let us know how you fare.

dave

Can paint bought from a auto body supply shop be brushed or rolled on? Someday I'll spray it but for now I need a cheep alternative.

KevinNY
06-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Yacht paint can give good results applied with a proper roller, search for Sven's paintjob on Dweb.

greenmeanie
06-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Go for the Ex-mod look. As long as you like cabbage and black the authentic finish is supposed to look like a pissed up, cross eyed monkey applied it - preferrably about 14 layers of it too by most owner's experience. Extra points are given for mud trapped between layers of paint.

Cheers
Gregor

yank
06-26-2008, 11:14 AM
I found A rattle can of moss green at lowes that's close. It's better than primer. It's more to keep the wife happy until I can do it rite. I dont think my hood has any paint left on it.

sven
06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Yacht paint can give good results applied with a proper roller, search for Sven's paintjob on Dweb.

Thanks. Its been a year now and its holding up very well. I still have to wetsand it, but its a series, right :cool: