PDA

View Full Version : Waxoyl on frame

loganhbrown
06-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Dear All:
I have spent much of this summer cleaning the frame on my 109, and now it's ready to be coated. I'm a bit confused with all the options. Should I paint then waxoyl? Just paint? Just waxoyl?
Any opinions are welcome,
Thanks,
Logan

thixon
06-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Best option would be to have it hot-dipped. If you're not up for that, then paint it. You could POR-15 it, and then paint it. The waxoyl product (if I undertand it correctly) is a not so tough goopy moisture barrier, like cosmolene. I'd want a paint or some other hard protection under it since you've gone through the trouble to strip the frame.

greenmeanie
06-26-2008, 10:19 AM
With paint prep is everything. Some products claim that you can just give a quick wire brush and slop it on but that is not a long term solution. Get the chassis as clean as possible and down to bare metal if you can. I actually like POR15 metal clean and metal ready as it provides a slight etch to help the paint key to the surface. As to the paint product you use it comes down to personal preference. POR15 is good but it is UV sensitive and expensive, Eastwood has some good stuff, you can use catalysed enamel as well. I even have a truck that has a coat of Rustoleum that is holding up well.

Once painted you then get into undercoats. Do NOT use rubberised undercoat as it dries out and will trap moisture against your chassis. Wax based products are far better as they are self healing and the oils will penetrate the surface of any metal not covered by paint. Our hosts sell Waxoyl which takes different forms depending on application. The black hardwax is good for external surfaces on the chassis, fuel tank and even underbody. It sets up pretty nicely and is fairly rock chip resistant. The cavity wax is the thinner yellowish stuff is cavity wax which is great for use inside the chassis rails. After all your chassis rots itself from the inside out. If you get good coverage the wax stuff will provide excellent protection but needs reapplied about every 5 years or so. It has the side benefit that all the fasteners on he underside of your truck that would normally rust solid will now be protected too.

An alternative make is Dinitrol but I'll leave you to figure out the various versions of that stuff.

Cheers
Gregor

KevinNY
06-26-2008, 11:59 AM
If it is a bare frame get it galvanized, hands down the best option.

loganhbrown
06-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the replies!