PDA

View Full Version : gas tank ? are these normal ? w/pict

autoguy
06-27-2008, 05:06 PM
well my passenger side gas tank on ludwig is leaking, i have tried jb welding the things in the picture and i have done the seams too but to no luck

so are these normal ? there are probably half a dozen or more on the bottom of both tanks and that is where the tank is leaking from, the pict is of the drivers side tank with no jb weld

the drivers side tank is almost full of stale funk gas

i had thought of using the por 15 tank sealer treatment kit but at $70, i can buy a plastic fuel cell and mount it in the tub for $100 and i know it will last longer than a tank sealer

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/autoguy5/IMG_0130.jpg?t=1214604062

greenmeanie
06-27-2008, 05:29 PM
If you're talking about the hole in the skid plate then it is normal. No amount of JB weld on the outside of a tank will seal it on these tanks with a double skin. You have to either seal it from the inside or replace it.

For what its worth you might want to check your local DOT rules if you have to get inspection. Some places get mighty finicky about things like fuel cell placement etc. In AZ I could probably get aaway with having a passenger ride the front bumper and pour fuel down the carb from a glass jar but that's another matter.

Cheers
Gregor

autoguy
06-27-2008, 05:35 PM
thanks for the quick reply :)

any ideas of what to use to seal the tank from the inside ?

thanks for the tip about checking to see if a fuel cell will pass inspection :)

the cheapest replacement tank I found that would fit under the seat was around $250 or $300 aka way out of my price range

Moose
06-27-2008, 06:02 PM
You could remove the tank and take it to a place like Gas Tank Renu. They will clean and then coat the outside. They can also coat the inside. I have had both the tanks from the 88 done there. One in 1996 and the other in 1998. No leaks since. They claim I have a life time warranty on them too!

Cost $120.00 per tank at the time.

Brett

xsbowes
06-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Did you check with Bill at TNTLR.COM? He's not that far from KC, shipping shouldn't be too much. I got my tank from Brit. Pacific for $189. It was the replacement style but easy to install except for the fact that I was missing the front outrigger for the tank. PO had rigged the old tank to bolt to the floor and seat base. I didn't even realize this until I went to replace the tank.

autoguy
06-27-2008, 06:26 PM
moose, thanks for the info

xsbowes, was the tank you got from bp the auxilary tank ? I will call tntlr on Monday, thanks

Eric W S
06-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Is this your second tank? You mentioned an under seat option.

I just bought a main tank for under 225 shipped. It was the new replica of the OEM tank not the newer version.

xsbowes
06-27-2008, 06:48 PM
No it was the after market replacement. the part number is 552175. Passenger side on a LHD.

autoguy
06-27-2008, 06:58 PM
eric w s, Ludwig is ex military so he has dual under seat tanks

esbowes, so why did you do about the filler spigot ? thanks for the part # :)

xsbowes
06-27-2008, 07:04 PM
That tank was on a civy model that I sold last year. For an ExMod you'd need the under seat tank which is more expensive. $279. PN TK101
Or install civy tank and filler tubes, etc.

autoguy
06-27-2008, 10:47 PM
That tank was on a civy model that I sold last year. For an ExMod you'd need the under seat tank which is more expensive. $279. PN TK101
Or install civy tank and filler tubes, etc.

thanks, i figured it was the civy tank at that price :)

i might try to reseal the tank, i might try the por 15 tank sealer stuff, i will call them and ask how many gallons there sealer kit will work for, so far that seems to be the cheapest option

greenmeanie
06-28-2008, 12:24 AM
If you go the POR-15 route just buy the tank sealer kit. It only works if you use all the potions in the manner they describe. The pot of sealer goop will be more than enough for your MOD underseat tank. I just did a SW rear tank and after coating, and leaving a thick coat on the bottom I was able to drain about a third of the stuff back into the can.

An alternative is to taske it to a radiator shop and have them seal it. That has the convenience that they will do all the hard work boiling it out to get it clean.

Cheers
Gregor

autoguy
06-28-2008, 02:01 AM
If you go the POR-15 route just buy the tank sealer kit. It only works if you use all the potions in the manner they describe. The pot of sealer goop will be more than enough for your MOD underseat tank. I just did a SW rear tank and after coating, and leaving a thick coat on the bottom I was able to drain about a third of the stuff back into the can.

An alternative is to taske it to a radiator shop and have them seal it. That has the convenience that they will do all the hard work boiling it out to get it clean.

Cheers
Gregor

thanks, I was looking for some info/rewiew of there product :)

did there product work ? aka is it worth the $70 and would the one kit work for both tanks ?

would it be cheaper to go to the rad shop ?

I Leak Oil
06-28-2008, 05:34 AM
My opinion, and that's all it is, is that these tank sealers are for normal road vehicles. In an off-road vehicle, especially a series with the tank under the seat and hanging low, you don't want a structurally unsound fuel tank. If it's leaking it means it's rusted pretty well through and series tanks are thin to begin with. Hit it on something and it's likely to rupture again. For a few extra bucks get a new tank and some piece of mind.
Jason T.

Eric W S
06-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Ex Mod. Got it.

I gotta agree with Jason on this one. Spending 70 today just to spend 250 for a new tank down the road isn't really saving money.

EwS

greenmeanie
06-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Hmmm this is my experience and why I went with the sealer. Ultimately its your money and I can't argue a new tank will fix it.

I've had tanks leak on two trucks. The first was a 101 which was an alloy tank where over time the braze eats the ally and the joints go. In that case I went with a new stainles item from the owner's club. It was expensive but really a thing of beauty. The second one was my 109 SW which I have fixed with POR15.

I cut up the 101 tank to see how bad it really was and you couldn't actually see any holes yet it peed away 30 gallons (At least it wasn't $4 each at the time) in the time it took me to cross Tucson. The braze joint had become porous. I had the 109 tank pressure tested at a radiator shop and they came back saying it was only a pin hole yet that was able to leak away five gallons of water in about 2-3 hours when I tested it.

The thing is that unless the fuel you put in it just pours straight out the bottom then most leaks are actually tiny holes in which case the tank can be structurally sound, just not fuel tight. Tank sealers are designed to be flexible to cope with metal expansion and flexing on the truck. In that it has a skidplate on the base you would have to ding it hard to cause failure at which point I would suspect any tank.

If you want to know the extent of the leak then take it to a radiator shop and for about $20 they will pressure test it.

There is enough sealer to do two tanks but it is a one shot deal. Once the can is open it has to be used so you would want both tanks cleaned prepped and ready to go.

Cheers
Gregor

Tim Smith
06-28-2008, 09:25 AM
I used this tank sealer in the lightweight.

http://www.damonq.com/Radiator.htm

Seems like fine stuff.. Never gets hard, seals well and stays thick. I'd recommend it. :thumb-up:

Plus I think it was only about $30 a quart which is more than enough for a under seat tank. Use it sparingly because you don't need to over do it.

The only thing is, be prepared to not use the tank for a while. I did mine in the cold of winter and it took a few weeks to dry up enough to use. I don't think that is normal because they claimed something like 48 hours. :confused:

autoguy
06-28-2008, 12:53 PM
any opinions on mounting a fuel cell in the tub ? I can get a plastic one for around $100-130 depending on capacity or I can get a 12 gallon one with the steel outer and plastic bladder inner, I know this would be the safest but cost around $160

Tim Smith
06-29-2008, 08:05 PM
any opinions on mounting a fuel cell in the tub ? I can get a plastic one for around $100-130 depending on capacity or I can get a 12 gallon one with the steel outer and plastic bladder inner, I know this would be the safest but cost around $160I would avoid putting a tank in the passenger compartment but that is up to you. Check this out for some ideas on different fuel tank options.
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/#tank

Cheers!

autoguy
06-29-2008, 10:42 PM
I would avoid putting a tank in the passenger compartment but that is up to you. Check this out for some ideas on different fuel tank options.
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/#tank

Cheers!

yep, i am not really keen on putting a tank in the tub, i am going to call a local radiator shop monday to see how much they will charge to fix my tank :)

the tank is not rusted, it just has some pinholes that i cant even see

thanks for the link :) :cheers:

BGGB
07-03-2008, 04:49 PM
i know that napa sells a 20.00 kit that will patch fairly good size hole not sure how well it would work but it would get it fixed for a while, eventually i would recommend a new tank or a get that one lined.

autoguy
07-03-2008, 10:37 PM
i know that napa sells a 20.00 kit that will patch fairly good size hole not sure how well it would work but it would get it fixed for a while, eventually i would recommend a new tank or a get that one lined.

thanks, i reckon i am going to try the por 15 tank sealer stuff, i will eventually replace the tank though when i get the money :)