PDA

View Full Version : Retrofit Weber to my IIA

roverdave
06-28-2008, 12:53 PM
I currently have a zenith on my IIA that I would like to replace with a weber 43 ich. What linkage mods are needed? The base seems to be a good match and bolts right up. The accelator linkage hookup seem quite different. Anyone done this conversion or know good links to explain the conversion?

Thanks!

bearcrawl
06-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I just did it on my 2a. I was replacing a Solex so I needed an adapter plate. Aside from not paying attention to the way the linkage went together before I took it apart, it's a very easy swap. I had to try about 5 million orientations with the linkage before I got it back together. Very happy with the Weber now. If you would like me to take a couple pics let me know.

scott
06-28-2008, 02:58 PM
i've got a weber 2brl 32/36 DGV on mine. po had it mounted w/ the linkage on the fire wall side and so jerry rigged that the thing ran on both barrels all the time. i rotated it 90 degrees clockwise and fiddle with the linkage angles until the full movement of the pedal tranlated to the full movement of the trottle lever. just as jerry rigged but i now have an idle of 750 rpms and i can move through the gears without kick'n in the 2nd barrel unless i want to.

roverdave
06-29-2008, 01:47 PM
bearcrawl - If not a lot of trouble, I'd like some pics of the install. Since I had a zenith, bolting it up was no problem. My email is davidbr93@hotmail.com or post here.

Thanks! Dave

I just did it on my 2a. I was replacing a Solex so I needed an adapter plate. Aside from not paying attention to the way the linkage went together before I took it apart, it's a very easy swap. I had to try about 5 million orientations with the linkage before I got it back together. Very happy with the Weber now. If you would like me to take a couple pics let me know.

yorker
06-29-2008, 02:12 PM
i've got a weber 2brl 32/36 DGV on mine. po had it mounted w/ the linkage on the fire wall side and so jerry rigged that the thing ran on both barrels all the time.

that might have been done by design:
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_Weberdgv.htm

34ICH info:
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_weber34ICH.htm

I Leak Oil
06-29-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't think there is anything that has to be changed going from a Zenith to a Weber 34 ICH.
Jason T.

scott
06-29-2008, 03:02 PM
york thanks!

i do have a 2" exhaust system. and i get about 13 mpg in town, 17 hwy. and if i want i can leave badvibes' 64 iia swb in the dust. he does have that heaveir hard top to carry. i've not noticed any dead spots in acceleration and i don't know what jets are in there. but like i said it's runing pretty good. i use a high quality napa in-line filter and the sediment bowl and another filter befor the electric pump.

bearcrawl
06-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Here are a couple pics

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/rldahllof/IMG_1999.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/rldahllof/IMG_1998.jpg

yorker
06-29-2008, 06:12 PM
york thanks!

i do have a 2" exhaust system. and i get about 13 mpg in town, 17 hwy. and if i want i can leave badvibes' 64 iia swb in the dust. he does have that heaveir hard top to carry. i've not noticed any dead spots in acceleration and i don't know what jets are in there. but like i said it's runing pretty good. i use a high quality napa in-line filter and the sediment bowl and another filter befor the electric pump.
Mine is set-up like yours is from the sound of it. I like the 2 barrel also and have not had any real problems with it. No idea what jets are in it because it was set up by someone else on another Rover and I bought it used. Before this carb I had a Solex then a Rochester, then a 34ich Weber- then a Zenith. I don't think I'd ever go back to any of them, except Rochester again.

LaneRover
06-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Aside from not paying attention to the way the linkage went together before I took it apart, it's a very easy swap.

A little off topic, and I am sure that many guys in here do it but these days with digital cameras I take pics of everything as I take it apart so that I have a much better clue to how it should go back together and have found the camera invaluable especially with a 'quick job' that should only take 10-20 minutes!

Brent

scott
06-30-2008, 02:38 AM
A little off topic, and I am sure that many guys in here do it but these days with digital cameras I take pics of everything as I take it apart so that I have a much better clue to how it should go back together and have found the camera invaluable especially with a 'quick job' that should only take 10-20 minutes!

Brent

brent

as i age i find it helpful to test the brain so i intentionally take things apart without pictures while drinking just to see if i can get it back together. this works well as i usually don't get it running straight away allowing for time to sober up befor motoring away.

LaneRover
06-30-2008, 12:25 PM
brent

as i age i find it helpful to test the brain so i intentionally take things apart without pictures while drinking just to see if i can get it back together. this works well as i usually don't get it running straight away allowing for time to sober up befor motoring away.

No no no it would be much better to test your brain by drinking before taking the pictures and thus making the assumption that you don't have to pay attention to how things go together. Then you have a bunch of blurry Rover parts photos as well as a few perfectly clear ones of your face as you blind yourself with the flash while wondering how this confounded thing works. That is assuming that you didn't spill your beer on the camera the first time you go to refer to the photos.