PDA

View Full Version : Parabolic Springs and Limiting Straps

bearcrawl
06-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I just installed my Rocky springs and I love them. Running Bilstein Shock which I believe are a bit longer than the OME. Just curious what you guys think about limiting straps.

Moose
06-28-2008, 02:24 PM
I have been driving my 88 since '84 and it has never had axle straps on it in that time. Haven't seemed to miss them. Been running with the RM parabolics for the last six or seven years no problem.

Brett

scott
06-28-2008, 03:12 PM
1st time out crawling w/ new parabolics i snapped the left strap. haven't replace it and i've been out a bunch of time since without a problem. what legnth are your shocks? i should replace mine.

chester rides again
06-28-2008, 05:17 PM
i put RM parabolics on 3 months ago and the straps that came with it weren't long enough. the ones that came with the truck are long enough, but i haven't put them back on yet. l

I Leak Oil
06-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Never had a problem without straps. Truck has parabolics, procomp shocks and military shackles. A properly setup strap wouldn't hurt but I don't see a need for them.
Jason T.

msggunny
06-29-2008, 08:08 AM
No straps.

When i had my rover shop in Kampala, Uganda put the springs on they put the straps on too. They were an inch too short and the shop was confused as to why there was a truck jaring bang every time you went over a bump.

I used a pocket knife to cut the straps, and the truck settled an inch or so.

I wonder how they got the straps on to begin with.....

adkrover
06-29-2008, 09:00 AM
I too have a truck with RM parobolics and no limit straps. I have the OME shocks and I suppose if you blow out your shocks from over extension that would be a clue that you need to either install the limit straps or get longer shocks. Personally, I'd get the longer shocks if you discover a problem down the road. If you never do any hard of road action where your forcing a full extension of the shock then you will most likely never blow them anyway.

adkrover
06-29-2008, 09:03 AM
I guess I didn't catch it the first time. You said your shocks are LONGER than OME. Maybe they will blow from being crushed when the axle hits the bump stop but again, it would take a serious adventure to fully flex those springs. Either way, I don't think the limit straps will matter for that. Limit straps just keep it from going too far down (opposite of bump stops that keep the axle from going too far up).

junkyddog11
07-04-2008, 05:24 AM
It's not that you will blow the shocks out by not running the straps....it's the driveshaft bind that you can get with the full extension of longer shocks and pairofbollicks springs.

Very apparent if you put the truck up on a lift.

Try using the longer straps from a 109 (39")