PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge reads Backwards

dunerunner
07-01-2008, 04:20 PM
After a tank replacement, I replaced the old sending units with original LRP senders. The gauge now reads backwards. Not so bad, as long as you remember that if the gauge reads 'F', its empty!!

Truck is a '59 series II converted to neg. earth.

Parts house techs and my wrencher have been working this for a month without a fix.

Any Ideas?? :confused:

graniterover
07-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Is this a trick question? Swap +/- leads on back of gauge?

leafsprung
07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
The problem is the new and old sending units opperate opposite to one another. So as the contact moves along the rheostat in the unit the resistance is opposite to what it would be on the original. You can swap gauges or turn the arm on the float around so it moves the other way. Swapping the wires wont likely make any difference.

dunerunner
07-01-2008, 05:44 PM
The problem is the new and old sending units opperate opposite to one another. So as the contact moves along the rheostat in the unit the resistance is opposite to what it would be on the original. You can swap gauges or turn the arm on the float around so it moves the other way. Swapping the wires wont likely make any difference.

Found out the gauge only works one way. The coils are biased against each other and without tearing into that, making the senders operate opposite is probably the ticket.

What gauge (Year/+ or - earth) would I swap with? Because that would be so much easier!!!

Issue is one of the custom tanks is welded into the truck. Therefore, drain, cut it out, pull sensor, reverse float, re-install. just remove the left front wheel and disconnect the shock to manuver the tank enough to extract it from the frame. The tank under the right seat is bolted in and relatively easy to access.

Thanks!!

leafsprung
07-01-2008, 05:50 PM
The later gauges post 67 will read correctly but the gauge wont fit into the early 3 way cluster without some sugery/trimming. A late cluster with the late gauge will fit into the early dash. Why is that tank welded to the truck???

-IKe

dunerunner
07-01-2008, 06:05 PM
The later gauges post 67 will read correctly but the gauge wont fit into the early 3 way cluster without some sugery/trimming. A late cluster with the late gauge will fit into the early dash. Why is that tank welded to the truck???

-IKe

Weeell, That was how the farmer who had the tanks built mounted them in 1967. When I had the tanks removed and replaced the passanger side with an original tank, my wrencher re-installed the old right side tank under the driver and welded it in instead of fabricating a bolt in bracket for it. Once it's done, it's done!! :thumb-up:

Thanks for the heads up on the late cluster, know where I can get one?

Scott

dunerunner
07-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Found a gauge at our benefactor $245.....Ouch!!! I wonder why parts didn't ship the right sending unit in the first place? Are they still available for the series II?

dunerunner
07-01-2008, 09:38 PM
OK...Guess that's a fair price for a guage? I'll authorize Performance Autohaus to order it. $%$#:)

LaneRover
07-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Mine reads backwards and I look at it as a small type of theft deterent. Eventually they won't realize that they aren't running out of gas! ;-P

I figure that now 'F' stands for Fill the tank and 'E' means I have 'Ever so many miles to go'.

Brent

leafsprung
07-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Take a sharpie and black out one of the legs on the E then take some white out and add a leg to the F

dunerunner
07-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Leafsprung - Thanks for the gauge source in your PM. :thumb-up:

dunerunner
07-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Changed gauges!! Bought a Series III '67 - '84 Lucas LU/BF6106-05 Fuel Gauge ($66.15 at RDS inc. shipping). The gauges are identical with the exception of the meter face plate. I swapped face plates and bent the indicator (needle) to fit the concave arc of the old faceplate and no trimming of the trio gauge assembly. Thanks again to Leafsprung for the help.

1961 109 WAGON
07-12-2008, 08:46 PM
mine did the same thing, read the wrong way. i talked to ike, he gave me instructions on how to modify the sender so it reads correct. then it was a matter of re-bending the rod so it matched the gauge on the dash when it moved. took about an hour to modify the unit and re-bend the rod.

leafsprung
07-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Nathan,
I have a tailgate for you.

-Ike

pvkd
07-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Take a sharpie and black out one of the legs on the E then take some white out and add a leg to the F

I like this suggestion !