PDA

View Full Version : 62 88IIa starting troubles

LR88II-1962
07-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Hello All,
I have been trying to figure out why my LR won't start. Drove it one weekend without trouble, but nothing happened when I put the key in it the next weekend. It is negative ground with a new Lucas 34 amp alternator and a new push button starter solenoid. The battery is fully charged and I have 12.8 volts at the solenoid (battery side). I pulled the dash and checked all connections and then checked the complete path within the engine compartment, still nothing.
Any help would be great,
Thanks,
Pete

dunerunner
07-04-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm guessing the solenoid engages but the starter doesn't spin. Could be the solenoid contacts that provide + Batt to the starter are not engaged. Try to manually engage the solenoid or use a screw driver (heavy shank) to short the solenoid contacts.

LR88II-1962
07-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks, I tried that and still nothing...no starter spin, but I do have high lights, etc from dash, just dead silence from the starter.

dunerunner
07-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Sorry to be late getting back to the post!! I'm looking at the wiring diagram and the only thing I can suggest is to take a jumper cable and attach the POS to the +batt post. At the starter, touch the other end of the Jumper POS cable to the + batt terminal on the starter. If that doesn't work, one of two things could be happening. One, the ground strap from the starter to the frame is not making contact, or two the motor windings are open. I'm hoping for problem #1. Some starters like my 'MeanGreen' are internally grounded, not sure what you have?

Good Luck

LR88II-1962
07-05-2008, 05:43 AM
Thanks again dunerunner,
I checked the connections at the starter (type unknown, but old) and will try your suggestion.
Pete

LR88II-1962
07-06-2008, 03:59 PM
I tried to straight cable to the starter from the battery....nothing. I will try to push start it next.
Any thing else?

I Leak Oil
07-06-2008, 04:27 PM
I tried to straight cable to the starter from the battery....nothing. I will try to push start it next.
Any thing else?

Sounds like your starter is toast. I'd recommend a high torque unit as they are smaller (easy to change without removing exhaust down pipe), probably use less amps, and will spin the motor faster in colder weather. If you're looking for a less expensive option look for a used original or have your antique rebuilt. No matter what route you take replace the cables with heavy gage....you won't be sorry.
Jason T.

dunerunner
07-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Pete - I agree with Jason, you can always bench check the starter after removal. It may be a simple repair if you're so inclined. Otherwise, the high torque starters like my MeanGreen are great replacements.

4flattires
07-07-2008, 09:22 AM
...would be an inexpensive voltmeter. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they are very reasonable, and sometimes they put them on coupon for $1.99. The point being that it will become indispensible when chasing electrical gremlins with certainty.

To further confirm it is only the starter, connect a voltmeter at the starter positive terminal and the starter case. You will be looking for 12v when someone engages the starter switch. (pull the coil wire first). This will tell you the circuit is working up to the starter (switch, solenoid, cables).

Jeff

greenmeanie
07-07-2008, 10:14 AM
...would be an inexpensive voltmeter.The point being that it will become indispensible when chasing electrical gremlins with certainty.
Jeff

Now that's like asking an engineer to read the instruction manual.

My coworkers used to laugh becuase I had a digital multimeter mounted in one of the gun clips in the cab of my 101. Yes, I needed that often until I got rid of the old military wiring system.

Cheers
Gregor

jp-
07-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Now that's like asking an engineer to read the instruction manual.

Cheers
Gregor

Instructions are a last resort. They are often overrated.

I agree with DuneRunner here. Connect the hot to the starter right to the battery. If you get nothing, then you have no connection (bad pos / bad neg cables, or both) or your starter is toast.

Oh yeah, take the truck out of gear before attempting the above.

LR88II-1962
07-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone, looks like I'm heading towards a new starter. With as much money goes into these machines, I won't be going the cheap route. I will pull it and do a bench test just to make sure.
Thanks for all the replies, it makes a little easiler spending the money on a solution instead of spending money guessing. I will update when running.