PDA

View Full Version : Defender Seats in a Series

PH4
07-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Has anyone put Defender Front Seats in a Series IIA 109 SW? How did you do it? Photos? Advice?

Momo
07-09-2008, 11:47 PM
They bolt in, no mods. Not hard, just expensive. They aren't much comfier for the price either.

Tim Smith
07-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Just lost a battle with a RRC driver's seat trying to get it to bolt into the lightweight. It will not fit for one reason. The seat back is too think!

The seat back thinkness is a problem with the lightweight that I think might be avoided with a 109 SW or even a regular. In the lightweight, the rear bulk head seems a bit closer to the wheel than in the 109's. Possibly an 88" thing?

And for what it's worth, I figured out that the seat was going to be too tall for a series seat box in standard form. The only way around that is to remove all of the motors and electro-wonderfulness from the botom of the seat. Either that or modify the seat box.

Just in case any one else is thinking about it...

Cheers,
Tim

PS: If any one needs a motor from one of these seats, I have a bunch that I just tossed into the dumpster.

PH4
07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Tom Sheppard in his book The Vehicle Dependent Expedition states that Defender seats are some of the best (cloth). I want something with headrest for safety and comfort for long drives. I understand the original Series III are great but reproductions are not so great and the Highback Trekkers leave alot to be desired in the bottom cushion department.

leafsprung
07-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I like the 90 seats a lot

PH4
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Is there a diference between the 90 and 110 seats?

Les Parker
07-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Tim,

If the Range Rover seat would have worked, how would you put fuel in?
Tried the same with Discovery I manual seats (loosely - not bolted in) and realised the problem of access to the tanks.
Now Defender seats fitted and comfortable (for a Series veh.)

Tim Smith
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Is there a diference between the 90 and 110 seats?20 seats?

Tim,
If the Range Rover seat would have worked, how would you put fuel in?
Tried the same with Discovery I manual seats (loosely - not bolted in) and realised the problem of access to the tanks.
Now Defender seats fitted and comfortable (for a Series veh.)
Yeah I had the same epiphany.
I had taken the seat down to it's two main components. As in, the seat cushion was separated from the seat back. Then I was going to make a tray to set the cushion in (just like my series setup) and attach the seat back to the truck via the reclining joint. It was pretty messy but if it wasn't for the fact that the rear bulkhead was so close (and so necessary in a lightweight) I think it could have worked.
I'll hold onto that seat for when I get around to finishing up the 109 and try it again later.
Cheers!

Blueboy
07-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Defender seats are some of the best (cloth). I want something with headrest for safety and comfort for long drives

on one of our trips while living in Brasil, we drove to the Atacama desert, Chile and back to Sao Paulo in our '04 110 that had the cloth seats. A little more than 4,000km.

the seat is ok and my back didn't hurt, yet, I wouldn't say they are the best seats I've ever used for long distance travel.

actually my wife likes the seat in the 109 better as the distance to the bulkhead is further than it was in the 110 and that was with the extended rails.

Jaime

xsbowes
07-12-2008, 01:17 PM
It was pretty messy but if it wasn't for the fact that the rear bulkhead was so close (and so necessary in a lightweight) Cheers!

I've seen a couple photos where the rear bulk head was removed, replaced with metal tubing, and moved back a few inches to allow for larger seat backs. I'll see if I can dig them up.

yank
07-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know if the forward facing rear jump seats from a D90 will fit in a series truck?

leafsprung
07-12-2008, 01:45 PM
the tub isnt as long in a series, but the dimensions are otherwise the same, should work if you have the brackets. I have one I keep thinking about putting in something

scott
07-12-2008, 02:04 PM
i've done 780 miles using the plain old series iia seats. twice. and i found that that kind of mileage gave me plenty of opportunity to recover as there were lots of repairs and refueling stops

scott
07-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Does anyone know if the forward facing rear jump seats from a D90 will fit in a series truck?

i accidently bought the lateral side jump seat for a 109 and when i realize it would fit in my 88 i thought i'd mount it facing forward 88 but decided not to cuz it would have made getting in and out of the rear a drag. i'm sure it will fit.

Tim Smith
07-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I've seen a couple photos where the rear bulk head was removed, replaced with metal tubing, and moved back a few inches to allow for larger seat backs. I'll see if I can dig them up.Ah yes! Please do post if you can find them. I haven't given up on this idea yet.

Cheers!

xsbowes
07-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Sorry, it was for a euro D-90 but I'm sure you could fab up the same for a lightweight. The rear bulkhead on a lightweight is not really that sturdy to begin with. But here is the photo of the bulkhead removal bar for the D-90. with the two outside posts supporting the outer bulkhead. The crossbar leans back a little, kinda like a really wide pair of handle bars, this allows for a little seat reclining, etc. You'd have to do something for the door striker also.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2073/10249131/19458865/325275351.jpg

What were you planning on doing as far as fuel tank access?

Tim Smith
07-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks Stacy. Actually, I was thinking about something very similar to that but I'd need a bar that goes straight across both sides so the backs of the seats could just lean against that. I need that because I had already dismantled the reclining joint so that the bottom cushion could be removed for fueling up. That last bit would work just like my current seats do in the series.

Cheers,
Tim

PH4
07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
The PO on my 109 regular removed the seat bulkhead to fit a custom made thrid tank where the bulkhead was originally. Installed is a staight bar all the way across that the seats lean against fine. I have had this setup for 12 years and never noticed any problems with support in the tub or flex in the tub. In fact, three weeks ago, I had old bricks stacked in the back almost all the way up to the middle hoop. Looked like it was going to pop a wheelie but handled it fine the 3 miles of transport and two days left in the bed.Wish I had snapped a photo.