PDA

View Full Version : Cool new noise

msggunny
07-10-2008, 07:05 AM
So now i have a new noise coming from my tranny/tcase/driveline.

When coming to a stop with the trany in neutral right around 5mph on down to 0 there is a loudish tick/thump.

I can feel it in the shifter as well.

I just did the clutch, everything works fine and i didnt notice any excessive wear in any of the tranny brake parts or the u joints. The splines in the slip joint of my front driveshaft is getting worn out.

Any ideas? I think i am going to drop the front drive shaft this weekend to see if that stops the noise. If i had selectable hubs i would just turn them to free, but i dont.

Anyone got a set that they would like to give to a good cause?

Thanks!

jp-
07-10-2008, 09:07 PM
The front DS was really bad on my 88". Replacing it definitely made a difference, although I don't distinctly remember hearing a ticking or thumping.

At times though, the 4wd high range would stick, even with the knob in the up position. The only way to tell was slightly heavier steering around corners.

Feeling it in the shifter doesn't really mean anything as the shifter is pretty well isolated from the actual inner workings of the transmission. That alone doesn't necessarily mean that the problem is in the transmission.

Drop the DS and try it.

Tim Smith
07-11-2008, 07:57 AM
My money is on the parking brake.

I had a IIA that did this and it turned out that the shoes were binding on the drum just enough that at low speeds (decelerating) it would jam up. On acceleration the drive line was under pressure so even if it was binding, I never noticed it.

Try pulling up on the parking brake and doing this test again. I bet the noise goes away and you will have figured it out.

msggunny
07-14-2008, 07:52 AM
My money is on the parking brake.

I had a IIA that did this and it turned out that the shoes were binding on the drum just enough that at low speeds (decelerating) it would jam up. On acceleration the drive line was under pressure so even if it was binding, I never noticed it.

Try pulling up on the parking brake and doing this test again. I bet the noise goes away and you will have figured it out.

BINGO!

Thanks for the advice!