PDA

View Full Version : test drive a series IIa

Rosie
07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Hi,
I wonder if there is anyone on this forum that has a series IIa that might live close to me. I would like to test drive one before I commit to buying one that would have to be shipped to me.
I have never seen one in person, nor driven one.
I live in the Finger Lakes, NY, midway between Auburn and Ithaca on Cayuga Lake. If there is anyone within 75 miles of me, and wouldn't mind letting me drive the vehicle for a few minutes, I would appreciate it!
Thanks!
My zip is 13081.
Rosie

cdsrover
07-10-2008, 01:49 PM
If I ever get mine put back together, I'm sure I'll be driving around your area. Should have the engine back in this weekend. I'm in Syracuse up near the (Syracuse) University.

Rosie
07-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Syracuse person, could you email me directly at todo21@peoplepc.com?
Thanks!
Rosie

El Sabroso
07-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Wish I were up there Rosie - I went there for years in the summer to boy scout camp (Camp Barton).:thumb-up:

Matt
Richmond, VA

1964 IIA "The False Maria"

adkrover
07-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Rosie,

Aurora, Union Springs, King Ferry??? I grew up in Lansing just south of the county line. My IIa 109 was in Ithaca until 2 weeks ago but unfortunately is now stationed in the Adirondacks at least for a while. Have you ever driven an old truck? One without power steering or power brakes? That's maybe the biggest difference along with more noise, less heat and harder ride.

Scott

Rosie
07-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Yea, Scott, I live in King Ferry!! Too bad I missed you in Ithaca.
Will your LR be back there again soon?
Do you know anyone else in the area with a series?
Thanks!
Rosie

LaneRover
07-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Rosie,
That's maybe the biggest difference along with more noise, less heat and harder ride.

Scott

Less heat - when you need it

More heat - when you don't

adkrover
07-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Rosie,

The only other truck I've seen in the area is a Series III 88 that is parked in a driveway in downtown Dryden. Haven't seen it move in years so no idea of it's condition. One of the owners of Miller Tilling in King Ferry has (or had) a Defender 90 but they really aren't the same. Mine's not going to be back in that neck of the woods for a while. Sorry. I think to find one worth driving in that area you have to get one that's either rebuilt or recently brought in. Too much salt on the roads for too many months of the year. I found mine in Maine with help from this site:

http://www.landroverexchange.com/select/?x=34&y=3

Good luck.

BTW: Mine is a camp truck that I drive to town every now and then and take on regular errands in the woods. I have to agree that you can drive them any way you want to. Either daily or monthly but you will need to have a bit of mechanical sense and willingness to learn. They are certainly not complicated and almost like a redneck version of the old VW Beetle.

Rosie
07-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Oh thanks! I was hanging around the Defender at Miller Tilling the other day looking for someone. Could not find anyone. Forget the guys name there that owns the vehicle.
Must be that Dryden series III is sinking into the ground!
I am looking for a IIa restored for under 10k. Not fancy, just nice.
Anyone have one?
Rosie

Blueboy
07-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Rosie,

The link that ADKRover has in his e-mail is a good place to start and get a feel for what is available.

Jaime

Tim Smith
07-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Rosie,
Just a thought but if you are patient and keep your ear to the ground, there will be one or two Rover rallies where you might be able to get a real hands on feel for a series truck. Of course a rally inevitably wouldn't be too close but it would make a great camping trip if you wanted to get out for a weekend and experience the "scene".
:thumb-up:

Anyone have a schedule of rover events coming up in the northeast? Isn't there a metal dash weekend coming up in VT or something?