PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to replace tie rod ends?

Ed*
07-10-2008, 02:33 PM
the folks here want 600$ to do it and i'm thinking i should just do it myself and save some money and learn one more thing about the rover.

but its my only transport and so i need to do it all in one day.

any advice?

thanks

phoenix
07-10-2008, 07:37 PM
depends on how rusty they are, from simple 30 minutes per side to having to use a torch to heat the threads and large amounts of lubricant, keep in mind you will need a front end alingment when all is said and done.

KevinNY
07-10-2008, 10:04 PM
You can rent tie rod end pullers at AutoZone for free. Give them a few shots of PB Blaster a few days before doing it.

Ed*
07-11-2008, 09:56 AM
thanks folks
i couldnt find it on the RAVE CD so i was a bit unsure

Ed*
07-11-2008, 12:55 PM
me again - i was just under the truck looking at the tie rod ends and was wondering if anyone here has a step by step how to.
I have the RAVE cd but it is not on there that i can find and i googled but cant find any instuctions either.

Is it realy just as simple and un-doing cotter pin and nut and poping them out and then unscrewing the tie-rod end and puting a new one on?

im a bit hesitant to go forward without knowing.

thanks again

Dubv1980
07-24-2008, 08:16 PM
I did this on both my Classic and my Series truck this year. Basically, it is as simple as you just described, the hard part is getting the things out of the holes. I did it once without the splitter tool...which I basically had to bang on the thing with a hammer for awhile..after applying liberal amounts of penetrating oil, and heat with a torch, but it did come loose. You want to make sure you take note of how many threads are sticking out of the end on the old one, and when you screw in the new one, leave that many threads exposed, that way you'll be pretty close on your alignment. It IS a simple job, just takes effort and some time...if it doesn't come loose, spray it down with penetrating oil and take a break, and come back later, and try again. Its definitely worth saving the $600.00.

Chris