PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: series IIa 88

Rosie
07-12-2008, 07:50 AM
OK, I am going to get serious now.
I am looking for a series IIa 88, preferably diesel, unless you all tell me there are too many probs with a diesel.
I want this thing to be restored, but not to show quality. Just nice. Simple car, preferably with a limestone finish.. as I am going to use this as a delivery vehicle for my tiny dairy (I am a cheese maker and I milk 5 Dexter cows! Yea, those are Irish cows with seriously good quality milk!)
Anyway, I would like it to have mostly new mechanics, and I cannot spend over 10k.
Think I can find one for that?
Thanks you all!!!
Rosie

graniterover
07-12-2008, 07:56 AM
There was one in the Northampton Ma for sale that would fit the bill I think. I'll see if I can dig up the ad. It wasn't perfect, but was less than your budget so you'd have some left over to tidy anything that wasn't perfect.

Mark

Eric W S
07-12-2008, 09:39 AM
www.pangolin4x4.com Ike usually has very solid trucks for sale. http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/products/trucks/trucks.html that 59 truck cab is an awesome looking truck and Ike generally finds very good trucks.

Add some antique gold leaf with your dairy's name and bob is your uncle.

EwS

Rosie
07-12-2008, 12:59 PM
My kid is living in Northampton Ma. and moving in 2 weeks. If you can find out about the possible series it might be that she could drive it for me!
And yes, I did contact Ike. The green one is sold already.
Appreciate the leads!!
Rosie

Eric W S
07-12-2008, 04:17 PM
www.landroverranch.com

1970 middle page. Jim Coryat - also a top notch shop.

EwS

enovey
07-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Read the link below, and try contacting the man selling these. Most of his trucks for sale were restored at one point or another by East Coast Rovers. He wants people to make offers, so maybe you could get what you are looking for.
http://roav.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f811b28d54d16a8db9618c8926a8b9 64&topic=568.15

The link below takes you directly to his page and you can see the trucks he has (Once the page comes up, click on the land rovers section). If you could get one of these trucks for 10K, it would probably be the best money you ever spent on a rover. He has links to all their builds from ECR.
http://gettherats.com/
Good luck, let us know how it works out.

petru
07-12-2008, 05:50 PM
I bought the SII truck Ike had for sale. It is my first after lusting after one for 7 years. I talked with him at length about being a noob and needing one that would be a good starter truck - rolling project. He has been great about everything, is patient with all my noob questions, it is as he described and I am pleased with it. I would highly recommend him as a resource in your search for your LR.

Rosie
07-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Wow, you all are so helpful!! These are rover sites I had not found!!
I will follow up on these!
Thanks!!
Rosie

Rosie
07-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Petru,
May I ask how much you paid for the truck? You got a nice one!!
Thanks!

petru
07-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Rosie,
I have found through my reading that these trucks are worth what you are willing to pay for them. I built up a trusting relationship via many emails and phone calls and bought. That said, I was honest with Ike and simply asked him what he would be comfortable taking for the truck - I was comfortable with the price he quoted and we both walked away feeling good about the transaction (I did anyway and certainly hope he did as well). I got a solid truck that runs and drives, has no immediate issues that I am overly uncomfortable with - but the lazy gas gauge hasn't left me on the side of the road yet either. I haven't had it that long and was just able to get under it yesterday and did some baselining. There are a couple things I am going to look into further for my own education and piece of mind but that won't keep me from driving it. It is very different from the 1997 Landcruiser I just sold and am loving every minute of it!:D

1961 109 WAGON
07-12-2008, 08:52 PM
that guy with all them rovers in va lives less than an hour away from me.(ed bear)

Rosie
07-13-2008, 07:04 AM
I am waiting for an email reply from him, not sure if all the pics of trucks on his website are for sale, or just that he is showing them off.... if he had East Coast renovate these, they are probably going to be very expensive.
Do you know if the vehicles he has pictured are actually for sale?

Tim Smith
07-14-2008, 01:00 PM
I love that little 1960 pickup on Ike's for sale page. I would think that this would make the perfect truck for you if it had a rag top over the back. :thumb-up:

Good luck in your search.

Rosie
07-14-2008, 03:04 PM
That little greenie has been sold! The new owner posted here somewhere.
But there's more out there!

PH4
07-14-2008, 03:05 PM
I think the one Ike has for sale would be hard to beat on price or condition.

Moose
07-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi Rosie

Not sure where you are, but I sent you some info on a Series 2a diesel for sale in southern Ontario.

Brett

Rosie
07-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks Brett,
I had to sign in to actually view the forum stuff, so I am waiting on that.
Much appreciate it!!

yank
07-15-2008, 07:28 AM
How about this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1965-LAND-ROVER-109-P-U-SOFT-TOP-WINCH-L-k_W0QQitemZ150270928488QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQ ddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150270928488&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

Tim Smith
07-15-2008, 09:32 AM
How about this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1965-LAND-ROVER-109-P-U-SOFT-TOP-WINCH-L-k_W0QQitemZ150270928488QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQ ddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150270928488&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318That one is cute but it looks like a recent UK export and there has been quite a few UK lemons passed off as gold to first time buyers. Obviously, being that it's ebay (unless someone knows this seller) we can't recommend the seller.

Nothing obviously wrong with it from my quick admittedly perusal but it looks a little unloved. Mind though, it's hard to say from just a few quick snaps.

Rosie
07-15-2008, 01:46 PM
It's a right hand drive. I think I had better not go there...
I am looking at this little thing that is located near Kingston NY....does anyone know this vehicle, or anything about it?
Here is the link http://www.dap-inc.com/used/index.shtml#top (http://www.dap-inc.com/used/index.shtml#top)
I am looking at the 1960 series.
I spoke with him on the phone and he said that everything is new. I told him I cannot go over 12,000. and he seems very interested to talk with me. He is sending me pics via snail mail.
Also talking with Ike about his girl friends diesel. Maybe Ike is on this forum..

Rosie
07-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Has anyone seen the prices that the Rovers are selling for in NM at the Land Rover Ranch? Man, people are paying rediculously large amounts for these vehicles!
There is another series listed on ebay, it is a 1970 I think, being sold by the guys at Coply Motors in Needham, Ma.
Anyone know the quality of their mechanics work?

Jim-ME
07-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Copley Motors sells high end Rovers. They don't sell junk nor stuff that is worn out.
Jim

cdsrover
07-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Yes, I do know some things about the yellow pickup. I know he threw gobs of money into it. I thought he had gotten rid of it a few years ago. Last I saw it in 2003 it was pretty solid. Original frame which was in very good condition. He 'always wanted a Rover', but had no mechanical ability. Maybe he just can't take it anymore.

Tim Smith
07-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Has anyone seen the prices that the Rovers are selling for in NM at the Land Rover Ranch? Man, people are paying rediculously large amounts for these vehicles!
There is another series listed on ebay, it is a 1970 I think, being sold by the guys at Coply Motors in Needham, Ma.
Anyone know the quality of their mechanics work?I've heard good things but couldn't afford pretty much anything they sell. I think I see the one you are talking about and I gotta say that the brush guard and roof rack don't agree with me. But that's just a personal opinion. :rolleyes:

Rosie
07-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Brush guard is from a Defender he told me, and probably pretty handy when you hit a deer head on! We have lots of those around here!
The roof rack and ladder could be handy for getting up there and stacking hay! But I bet it cuts down on the mpg!

Blueboy
07-15-2008, 05:27 PM
and probably pretty handy when you hit a deer head on

actually would do more damage to the Rover than if it were not there.

it will just bend inward and damage the surrounding sheet metal.

possibly the deer could deflect off of it if going slow enough.

I see the buy it now price is 3,000 less than the price on the Copley site.

possibly if no one offers anything, your 12k could get it!

Maybe Ike is on this forum

yes, he visits here for sure!

I'd trust anything purchased from him to be as he describes it.

good luck with your search.

Jaime

Rosie
07-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Does anyone know anything about this vehicle?
By the way, I hope it is ok that I am asking these questions on this forum, if it is not advisable, please let me know! I do not want to offend anyone, or bring up topics that may not be appropriate.
Thanks!
The series is on ebay, here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180265627364&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us (mhtml:{F39AABDD-0A51-4243-9DC4-A8204AFB68E8}mid://00004444/!x-usc:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180265627364&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us)

Tim Smith
07-16-2008, 07:41 AM
That truck looks lovely! :thumb-up:

I don't think there is any problem asking about trucks for sale. The only thing I think is a bit taboo is posting rover parts for sale that our hosts also sell. Although I've not seen any rules posted about this so who knows what they think about it.

Cheers.

sven
07-16-2008, 07:49 AM
That truck looks lovely! :thumb-up:

I agree, thats a really nice truck!

greenmeanie
07-16-2008, 08:16 AM
About the only problem I see with that truck that I would do something about is that he made the classic mistake with the POR15 on the chassis. As you can see it is fading to grey and this is becauase it is UV sensitive. It needs top coating which it looks like he forgot.

It's rather nit picky but if I bought it I would recoat and top coat just to keep it in top notch condition. Also, I would ask what those wires poking out from the dash are. If that's the only issues then it's a very nice truck.

Cheers
Gregor

Rineheitzgabot
07-16-2008, 08:17 AM
I agree, thats a really nice truck!

That truck is so nice, the price will not fall in Rosie's budget (per what she stated earlier). :(

But damn, that thing is tight! :cool:

Rosie
07-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Your right I think about the budget...do you see that he mentions something like...if it was any nicer it would be over 25k, well I have a feeling his reserve is something pretty near close to that!
Maybe it is too nice anyway....how can you do anything off road in a truck like that, not that I would do much, but just to go driving through pastures and picking up dead wood and stuff, or cleaning out a hedgerow...well, you might not want to do that kind of thing in a pretty truck like that...

4flattires
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Reflects the owners face in the glass. He is a first time Ebay user, joining on July 6th.

FWIW.

Jeff

xsbowes
07-17-2008, 04:44 AM
If you are willing to travel I'd take a look at http://www.landroverexchange.com. You might even find something local. That's where I found my second rover. It's got it's faults but is pretty reliable, looks good too. I found my first off of http://www.autoscout24.com, but this is for Europe. I'll probably get my third from there, if I can find a job in Sicily when I retire from the Navy (2 yrs until I hit 23 yrs). Nothing better than wheelin' on an active volcano (Mt Etna).

There is a guy selling a 71 2A 88" for $15k, looks pretty nice but it is in Missouri.

JayGoss
07-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Rosie- here's another one from Colorado. Not white, but might fit the bill otherwise. If you can be flexible with the color preference you should be able to find a nice example for $10k...expecially with the economy where it is.

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/725622909.html

JayGoss
07-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Here's another- yeah it's a 109...but it's white!

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/721546746.html

If you search Denver Craigslist from time to time you'll find some nice examples. With Solihull Society being headquarters here there seem to be more frequent rover sightings than some other states.

Rosie
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks so much!
I am looking at all of these.
Also, seriously thinking about the 1960 IIa listed on the D.A.P. classifieds...probably going to see it next week.
Does anyone know about the body of the 60 compared to the newer models, I know they are supposed to be the same, but they do not look the same, I mean with the IIa series....other than the lights, it seems that they look a little different.
Thanks!

Rosie
07-17-2008, 02:46 PM
The 71 on the landrover exchange is really nice! I spoke with the owner. He has never really driven it much. He is a collector and has only put 200 miles on it since the restoring.. I wonder if that is enough to get the bugs worked out of it... for 14,900, is it worth the chances...?
Supposedly rebuilt in Cleveland Ohio over a two year period, with a guy who had built two previous to this one. I like the look of it. Low riding...

Tim Smith
07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
What happened to your 10k limit? Don't be hasty and jump into one because you just gotta have it.

At this price, you better be talking about a truck that is A #1 perfect. Even so, what happens if you need to replace something? Say like the exhaust? By the way, it's common for the standard exhaust to rot out if the truck does a lot of sitting (condensation).

If you are in a rush, then go for it but if you are more on a budget and willing to keep looking then that would be my advice. That is a lot of money and although the truck might be worth it, it would be hard to resell the thing at that price if for some reason it didn't work out for you.

That is not to say $14k is too much. But if you are on a budget then it might be too much for you.

Cheers!

Eric W S
07-17-2008, 04:05 PM
At this price, you better be talking about a truck that is A #1 perfect.

Perfect is closer to double that figure. Hell if he replaced every available part he'd be in the hole for another 15k.

Rosie
07-17-2008, 07:55 PM
That's right, all these folks selling these series trucks are in the hole if they have restored it like they say they do.
This guy that owns the 71 says he is in the hole 33k.
The one that owns the 60 pick up says he is in the hole 47k!
That's probably mostly labor cost.
You wonder why they don't keep them. But maybe they have money to play with and can afford to be fickle. Or maybe the thing is a lemon. That's the prob with not being able to drive it before you buy it!
You are right though, never be hasty! It always looks better on this side of the money transfer!
Yea, isn't it interesting how the budget tends to stretch out a little beyond reality when you want something.
I guess that's called greed!

petru
07-17-2008, 08:30 PM
It's not greed.:nono: It's LUST.:D We all get that way when we want something really bad.

Rosie
07-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Yes sir, you are precisely correct!
Lust of the eyes
Lust of the flesh....and the wages of sin are death!
I know it quite well!! Thanks for the reminder!
On the practical side, I have been comparing vehicles that cost 10k compared to those costing 14k, and beginning to wonder if the 14k may be a better deal because someone else has done the work. If the 10k needs more work to bring it up to where the 14k is, it will end up costing the same and with less hassle.
Looking and comparing and assessing the need will hopefully determine the right choice, rather than the glitz and sparkle!

Eric W S
07-18-2008, 08:53 AM
That's right, all these folks selling these series trucks are in the hole if they have restored it like they say they do.
This guy that owns the 71 says he is in the hole 33k.
The one that owns the 60 pick up says he is in the hole 47k!
That's probably mostly labor cost.
You wonder why they don't keep them. But maybe they have money to play with and can afford to be fickle. Or maybe the thing is a lemon. That's the prob with not being able to drive it before you buy it!
You are right though, never be hasty! It always looks better on this side of the money transfer!
Yea, isn't it interesting how the budget tends to stretch out a little beyond reality when you want something.
I guess that's called greed!

All sales puffery. Period. None of those trucks look restored to any high standard and few look like they actually had the money invested in them.

greenmeanie
07-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Anyone spending that kind of money on what is, after all, an old farm truck that is never realistically going to be worthmore than about 15K is mad. It's not like most of them are RARE or anything.

Now I can understand it if you are building an expedition vehicle, plan on this being your last vehicle ever kind of thing.

Eric W S
07-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Yes sir, you are precisely correct!
Lust of the eyes
Lust of the flesh....and the wages of sin are death!
I know it quite well!! Thanks for the reminder!
On the practical side, I have been comparing vehicles that cost 10k compared to those costing 14k, and beginning to wonder if the 14k may be a better deal because someone else has done the work. If the 10k needs more work to bring it up to where the 14k is, it will end up costing the same and with less hassle.
Looking and comparing and assessing the need will hopefully determine the right choice, rather than the glitz and sparkle!

It is a used car. Period. Treat it like any other used car purchase. You don't want rust, then don't buy one with it. It should be safe, should be maintained and should look fairly nice. It should steer fairly nicely, brake without complaint and give you no other reasons to worry about your safety. Not that tough really, but very very hard to find.

There is no need to get wrapped up in this BS that since it is a Series truck that it has any great value. Most don't have value to begin with. Most owners think their POS is worth as much as you will pay. Be smarter. Make sure you actually drive the truck and know the basics about it. If the brakes need to be pumped, what does that mean? If the steering is heavy, what repairs are needed? Et al, etc.

So patiently look for a truck with a good bulk head, one that runs safely, has been maintained, and start from there. Like the one Ike had listed.

If your dead set on spending cash go to the chicago land rover club BBS and you will find one for sale at 15k that supposedly has been restored. From the description given, I doubt is a true restoration. Sounds like a frame swap and refurbishment to me. But I haven't seen the truck either, nor I will I offer to look at it.

So find a good mechanic that works on series near you. They will know if one of "theirs" is for sale. Look at the for sale sections on discoweb, d-90, and the other boards. Set up a search on Craigslist. Find all the rover clubs within 500 miles and look at their boards and I bet you will eventually find a nice truck in good condition in your budget.

graniterover
07-18-2008, 10:42 AM
BTW, you need one with a galvanized frame. No way I'd spend that much on a truck I know I'd drive in winter in NY. If you change your mind about owning it after you've driven through the salt there, the value will be less, and if you do want to keep it, the galvanized version will last.

daveb
07-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Rosie

I've done frame up rebuilds and/or frame replacements on 4 series land rovers. one of those was a "designa chassis" brand coils sprung conversion. I've also participated in several of others' rebuilds, strip-downs etc, and I've done numerous engine and transmission swaps and transmission and transfer box rebuilds. I've watched the market go up and down with varying economic trends and if there is anything that can be said about the value of a Land Rover it is that they are only worth what someone will pay. Excellent runners with minimal or easily repaired issues can be had for less than 5k IF you know what you are looking at and what is involved in a specific repair. Or you can buy a fully restored example for anywhere from $8500 on up to $25k or more. And MAYBE it will have been done correctly. The biggest misunderstanding in these trucks is thinking that you can spend a ton of money and get a car that is guaranteed in any way to be trouble free for x amount of time. Remember it is a LAND ROVER.

So, that said, you don't need to spend tons of money for some "flawless" "collector piece." I don't recommend buying sight unseen as a first time LR owner. Yes you can spend 12k now on one that is already done or you can spend 12k later fixing everything yourself. But you can also get a good truck for a decent price if you take your time and shop around, and find one that is structurally sound that might just need a few things or might even just be driveable -as they usually are- despite the various issues- , and as they *all* have issues. I know you have at least one LR owning friend up there in Jupiter Hollow. If you can get her to look at one with you she should be able to help you figure out what you are in for...

In the meantime we'll keep an eye out for some deals for you.

And don't listen to the guys that say there is no inherent value in a series LR, look how the prices hold up against the test of time vs. the newer mass-produced LR vehicles. A 1960 LR sells for the same average price today that it did 10 years ago within a range of ordinary market fluctuation. While the Discos and Range Rovers plummet down to nothing after 5 or 10 years on the road. (For a myriad of reasons that don't necessarly have anything to do with their quality or usefuleness) With appropriate maintenance your series LR will hold its value. OTOH I agree with I think it was Eric WS in syaing that just because it is a Series does not mean it is a piece of gold, and rusty junk is, sometimes sadly, still just rusty junk.

Dave

edited for clarification in blue

Rosie
07-18-2008, 11:13 AM
All good points and well taken!
More ammo in the belt!
I appreciate it!!

Eric W S
07-18-2008, 01:01 PM
. OTOH I agree with I think it was Eric WS in syaing that just because it is a Series does not mean it is a piece of gold, and rusty junk is, sometimes sadly, still just rusty junk.

Dave

:thumb-up:
Hit the nail on the head. The advice was offered in light of her experience.

I agree whole heartedly that a nicely done truck that is rust free will appreciate with age. However, when your just starting out, you really do not have the requisite knowledge to read an ad, look at pictures and tell if a truck is as described or if it is even worth any effort.

Rosie
07-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Are there key things to look for in an ad that would give it away as something to avoid, or to pursue?
And when they say engine rebuilt, how do you know if it was done well?
When they say all original, that may not be so good, right?
If they have put a series III engine in a series II truck, is that acceptable?
Is it better to buy a vehicle from the person who did the restoration?
There seem to be a lot of "little guys" out there that take on this project, and then sell it when they are done....what kinds of things can they do that are not acceptable? Even if they have the right parts, can they botch up the job?
Some say original frame, but probably better to have a new galvanized?
I don't hear too much about transmissions....
Thanks for all this info, and I hope these conversations will be of use to some other person just getting into LR series.
Thanks!

daveb
07-18-2008, 01:54 PM
-Are there key things to look for in an ad that would give it away as something to avoid,

yes, too many to list...i tend to avoid uk trucks as they are worse than ours

-or to pursue?

sure, lots of nice parts. galvy stuff in particular

-And when they say engine rebuilt, how do you know if it was done well?

you don't, but: mile socvered since rebuild. 10k miles proves that they got it somewhat right. 500 miles, then why are they selling it. ask what was done during the rebuild as that can vary greatly.

-When they say all original, that may not be so good, right?

original and working= good; original and not working= "eh"

-If they have put a series III engine in a series II truck, is that acceptable?

it is to me. but the SII engines are often smoother than the later ones. YMMV.

-Is it better to buy a vehicle from the person who did the restoration?

you might pay less if you get it one or two sellers later as those owners don't have to make up the resto cost. but they may have fubared up a few things or things may be worn out.

-There seem to be a lot of "little guys" out there that take on this project, and then sell it when they are done....what kinds of things can they do that are not acceptable?

No END of answers to that question. They are called SPOTs. Stupid Previous Owner Tricks. Household wiring used in the engine bay, incorrect fasteners, welding things that shouldn't be and not welding things that should for instance. I remember spendding half a day just getting the floors out of Dixon kenner's Dormobile, they were held in by 3" fine thread bolts, 37 square drive sheetmetal screws and 25 pop rivets. Instead of the stock setup of a dozen or so speednuts and screws.

-Even if they have the right parts, can they botch up the job?

YOU BETHCA

-Some say original frame, but probably better to have a new galvanized?

Original & solid = good; original & rusty = bad.

galvanised is almost always good. :)

-I don't hear too much about transmissions....

Trans rebuilds can cost anywhere from a few hundred to $3000 depending on who does it and what is needed. Make sure they shift correctly into all gears and don't pop out on the overrun. That said, trans swaps are relatively easy so a dodgy one could be good ammunition to drive the price down enough to where you can afford the replacement.

Tim Smith
07-18-2008, 02:21 PM
...Thanks for all this info, and I hope these conversations will be of use to some other person just getting into LR series...
I think this conversation is great.

You don't need to be new to rovers to find a conversation like this helpful. I for one am learning stuff and I've had series trucks in my life for practically all my life. Good stuff!:thumb-up:

Eric W S
07-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Are there key things to look for in an ad that would give it away as something to avoid, or to pursue?
And when they say engine rebuilt, how do you know if it was done well?
When they say all original, that may not be so good, right?
If they have put a series III engine in a series II truck, is that acceptable?
Is it better to buy a vehicle from the person who did the restoration?
There seem to be a lot of "little guys" out there that take on this project, and then sell it when they are done....what kinds of things can they do that are not acceptable? Even if they have the right parts, can they botch up the job?
Some say original frame, but probably better to have a new galvanized?
I don't hear too much about transmissions....
Thanks for all this info, and I hope these conversations will be of use to some other person just getting into LR series.
Thanks!

Your putting the cart before the carriage. I have admired series rovers for quite some time. At the end of the day I have come to realize how much I still have to learn.

Start logically. Go to the RN catalog or website and start from the beginning. Learn to recognize each of the Series by sight. There visual differences between the I, II, IIa, and III. Learn them. They have a page for it.

Learn the british terms. Find out what a boot, breakfast, hood, bonnet, and wings are. What does NAS or NADA refer to? What does ROW mean? CKD? What is a tropical top? Petrol? Elephant Hide? Grey Leathercloth?

Buy the history of land rovers from our hosts. Read it. Find other printed references such as the Brookland book that has road tests from the 50s and 60s. Pay attention to period photos. Really pay attention. They will tell what these wagons looked like originally. Google land rover ads on the internet. Browse Pangolin4x4, East Coast Rover, Lanny Clark Rovers, the Land Rover Ranch, etc, and see how they restore things. East Coast Rover has tons of great info for the series rover. Read their creed. Enjoy their restoration pictures.

Learn the basics. What are the stock colors for Series? What body configurations did they come in? What were the tire sizes and widths offered? What engines were offered and in what years? What does 88" and 109" actually mean? When did rover change from positive to negative earth? When was the Zenith used as opposed to the Solex? When were brakes single line or dual line and servo'd?

Once you have some basic knowledge you can start sifting through the BS. But you need to learn the basics first. Start by searching the BBS on all of your questions above. You'll be amazed at what you'll learn.

Read all the posts on the BBS. You'll get an idea real quick of potential problem areas and increase your basic knowledge. Plus it makes slow days at the office bearable.

Do you have the Series II/IIA owners manual? Its cheap and will give you a big head start. It will tell you all sorts of good things. Important things like service items and intervals.

Rosie
07-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Eric, you are an excellent researcher!!!
I agree with you completely. I am spending as much time as I can learning...but not over the curve yet.
Thanks for the navigations!

daveb
07-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Again, i have to second what Eric said. (We gotta stop agreeing so much Eric)

When I 1st started looking for a truck I read everythiung I could find. The Haynes "Series Land Rover Guide to DIY Restoration" by Lindsay Porter was a great book for me I read it cover to cover more than once before even owning a truck. Plus I was on the LRO mailing list and using every info resource available at the time.

And after all that I still bought a truck that needed a new frame. Although it could have been repaired I guess, and the truck was only $2650 and I drove it home to DC from Potsdam, NY. It was very original and unmolested which made for an easy if expensive rebuild.

Eric, you are an excellent researcher!!!
I agree with you completely. I am spending as much time as I can learning...but not over the curve yet.
Thanks for the navigations!

PH4
07-18-2008, 04:16 PM
From my perspective, I agree one of the best things you can do is get to know what a stock Series I, II, IIA, or III is supposed to look like and the parts it consists of and then it is a matter of solid (mostly) chassis and mechanicals. There is nothing wrong with adding on non-stock parts etc but IMHO the less the rover has been drilled cut painted etc from original the easier it is to restore, maintain, or purchase parts.

Eric W S
07-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Again, i have to second what Eric said. (We gotta stop agreeing so much Eric)

Better than Flaming each other!:D

Rosie
07-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Where on the RN site can I find detailed descriptions of the series trucks? I have searched and cannot find it. I know they have one diagram, but that is all I can find.
If anyone has any links to comparisons of the series trucks in pics with descriptions, I would be glad to get it.
I may have to get the manual as you say, but hoping to find more visuals online.
Thanks!

Blueboy
07-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Rosie,

Eric mentioned an excellent source for Series info and pics - ECR.

Here is the link you need to start - http://www.eastcoastrover.com/INFOseries.html

Once you are on the ECR site, also review the restorations/refurbs done by the shop to gain additional knowledge.

Best of luck,

Jaime

Rosie
07-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks, I had looked at the East Coast site earlier and had forgotten what they had on there.

Rosie
07-20-2008, 06:47 PM
The 68 series Rover on ebay has hit the reserve price under 9k.
2 days to go....this is such a clean machine!

Eric W S
07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
The 68 series Rover on ebay has hit the reserve price under 9k.
2 days to go....this is such a clean machine!

You bidding?

Rosie
07-21-2008, 06:46 AM
I always wait until the last minute to bid.
Not sure, can anyone tell me about this POR 15 treatment before paint job?
Is it a good thing or not?
I am going to call him. The engine is original, not rebuilt. Looks like everything else is new.
Rose

Eric W S
07-21-2008, 09:53 AM
http://www.por15.com/

greenmeanie
07-21-2008, 10:23 AM
I always wait until the last minute to bid.
Not sure, can anyone tell me about this POR 15 treatment before paint job?
Is it a good thing or not?
Rose

POR15 is an expensive anti rust paint. The link above gives you the detail of the product. Some things they sugest freak me out like making floor pan repairs using nothing more than some mesh and their paint.

As with all these things some people love it and some hate it. My understanding is that if it is to work well you have to use the whole system. i.e. get the metal as rust free as possible, degrease it, metal etch it, 2 coats of POR15 and two coats of top coat. If not it will either peel or the UV will get it. I'm using it on my 109 project because when I started I didn't know about any competitors stuff from a cost point of view and I'm in Phoenix so going full galvy dip after chassis modifications was overkill.

IIRC Eastwood sells some good alternatives.

The owner of that truck did not top coat so the POR15 has gone gray and is therefore no longer good. I'd give it another coat asap and then top coat it to preserve a good chassis. On any painted chassis I also waxoyl inside with the cavity wax and then coat the outside with the black hardwax stuff. Dinitrool sell a wide range of similar stuff for aerospace use. It's not as pretty as galvy but it works.

Cheers
Gregor

petru
07-22-2008, 10:01 PM
So Rosie,
Did you bid and win?

Rosie
07-23-2008, 06:50 AM
I did not bid. But maybe I should have! Past my bed time. I get up at 4:30 to milk!
I was worried about the rust proof stuff anyway...probably a minor worry, but still thinking about Ike's "Blue Ox" and the little yellow '60 pick up in Kingston NY. Still waiting on snail mail pics for the 60, and trust that Ike will do a good job and will not have to worry that it will be a trailer queen with no brains!
I really thought the ebay truck would have sold for more than that. Any comments?

Tim Smith
07-24-2008, 09:06 AM
I really thought the ebay truck would have sold for more than that. Any comments?
Do you mean this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180265627364&fromMakeT%20rack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

It looks like someone got a pretty good deal. But with these old trucks, it's hard to say what they are worth.

Like some have said, they are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. The seller might have just been a little unlucky. It's hard to say with eBay as you don't really know who is in the market for a series landy and happens across your add during that 7 or 10 day period.

Cheers,
Tim

Rosie
07-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Yes, that is the one.
I got the pics of the 60 pick up. The guy sent no pics of engine or anything else important. I have checked out his references, and they all say the truck is fine, just that the owner is a skitz...
Supposed to go look at it this sunday...
another guy has a 58 pic up with a 107" wheel base that he got off ebay a while ago...from NC.
Anybody know this vehicle? He wants 10k. Is there a way to look back at previously auctioned stuff on ebay? I guess you probably need the ref. #.
Supposedly was a show room truck.
If anyone remembers it, let me know. Powder blue.

PH4
07-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Just my opinion, but if it came from a place in NC named "Tidewater Rovers" I would not purchase it.

Rosie
07-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I will find out.
It is being sold by Randy Gillespie of Gillespie Automotives in Canaan, NY. He bought it off of ebay and now reselling.
Anybody know of him?
Also a 71 series on Landrover Exchange. Was listed on July 16th. A Harry Barnes in Missouri.
He wants to sell, and has got no bites at the almost 15k price.
Anyone know this vehicle?
Oh yea, there is another one on ebay...a 73 series III, mostly original, tan color...from Il. eBay item:Land Rover (#120286487378). I don't know how to put that in here as a link...sorry
Thanks a bunch!

Moose
07-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Rosie

If you have broadened your search to include Series 3's, there is a really nice one available right here on the RN for Sale board...
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3726

And if you are still interested in a diesel, there is this one...
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/mss/car/749868645.html

I live pretty close to both these trucks but strange as it may sound, I have never seen either of them around town. I'd actually like to go look at these myself.

Importing into the US from Canada is said to be really easy with vehicles over 25 years old.

Brett

Rosie
07-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks Brett,
Yea, the 73 looks really nice!
I have emailed him, but looks like he might have sold it already!
Yes, I have opened the search to series III also!!
I appreciate your post!

Moose
07-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Well, if it is still availble and you are interested in it, I am local and could give it a once over for you. I've had my Series 3 for 24 years now so know a little bit about them. ;)

Brett

Rosie
07-25-2008, 01:08 PM
I posted this on another thread, but just wondering if anyone looking here has seen this vehicle for sale. See below:
1967 Landrover Series II; 88” wheelbase, Safari top, 54,500 original miles; Landrover Limestone original and restored color.
I have driven the vehicle about 100 miles since rebuild. Engine runs very smooth, 60 psi oil pressure.
Rebuilt Items: (All parts from Rovers North)
Chassis
New Galvanized Chassis
New left front fender
Rebuilt firewall, new footwells (replaced all rusted sheet metal)
New fuel tank
Body completely disassembled, painted, and reassembled
New rubber seals between roof and body
New weather stripping around all doors
New sliding window seals driver, passenger, sliding rear compartment windows
New Safari roof spacers
New galvanized splash guards
New galvanized front bumper
Engine
Rebuilt Rovers North engine (British Military overhaul with dyno test)
New engine mounts
New Clutch
Rebuilt slave cylindermaster cylinder
Electrical converted from generator to alternator, positive ground to negative ground
New voltage regulator
New coil
Radiator boiled and cleaned
New radiator hoses
New fan belt
Exhaust
Complete new exhaust system: pipe, muffler, hangers
Suspension
New leaf spring assemblies (4)
New shocks
New check straps
Brakes
New brake shoes all 4 wheels and emergency brake
New brake cylinders all 4 wheels
New brake lines (complete)
Rebuilt master cylinder
Interior
New upholstery all seats and seat backs
Electrical
New wiring harness
All lights are in working condition except turn signals (needs flasher or work on turn signal itsel)
Drive Train
New wheel seals (all 4 wheels)
New wheel bearings all 4 wheels
New output shaft seals, both differentials
Rebuilt knuckle joints in both front wheels
All gear oil replaced with AMSOIL synthetic gear oil
Warn hubs
New u-joints
New transmission mounts
New boots on: drive shaft, transmission shifters, clutch shaft
Things To do:
Vehicle is equipped with stock 15 inch wheels and tires (might be original tires). 16 inch wheels and tires would be better.
Need to finish interior upholstery; roof liner and door liners
Need to install heater hoses from engine block to heater
Need to install defroster hoses from heater to windows
Need to work on windshield wiper motors
Need to work on turn signal switch

Rosie
07-30-2008, 05:26 PM
All my leads on vehicles have lead to different ends, but not to a purchase.
Still looking for a nice Series, and have decided to focus on finding a IIa.
Let me know if you see any new listings.
Thanks!

SafeAirOne
07-31-2008, 08:12 AM
I know it's a little late in the game, but here's a detailed description/guide to buying a series Rover. This thread is so long that this may have already been posted. If so, please accept my apologies:

http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/Series/FAQ.S.look_for.html

Rosie
08-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks Mark for the buyer guide page!

What is the best way to do a money transaction?
If your not going to see the truck, or meet the owner, and you decide to buy it, how should the $ be passed?
Thanks!

DCM
08-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Not a diesel but sorted:

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/series_vintage_rovers5_3_25.3.2vo1362.html

Rosie
08-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Looked at that one! Thanks anyway!

I found a 1967 Rover, and I am buying it!!
I guess we ought to close up this thread right!
I thank all of you so so much for helping me find a decent Rover!!!
Now it's just the beginning!
Much appreciation!!

Jim-ME
08-01-2008, 08:00 PM
You can't leave us hanging like that. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Welcome to the world of Rover ownership.
Jim

DCM
08-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Congratulations!

Rineheitzgabot
08-01-2008, 08:15 PM
You can't leave us hanging like that. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Welcome to the world of Rover ownership.
Jim

That's way too nice...

You WILL not leave us hanging like that.:nono:

We would love to get a gander at it!!:)

Moose
08-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Atta girl Rosie. Welcome to the world of LR ownership. Glad you finally pulled the trigger. I think you are going to be happy with the new truck, looks like it's a good one.

But yeah, way to leave 'em hanging.:rolleyes:

Brett

Rosie
08-02-2008, 07:09 AM
How do I post pics on this forum?
I would like comments on this vehicle from you all, as I won't know if I am getting what I think I am getting until it gets here! And the worry of the hauling process is a bit scarey. Have to bring it from Wyoming to NY.
I don't see a place for attachments on this tool bar.

SafeAirOne
08-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Congratulations. As for posting photos, go below the box where you type the reply to Additional Options and select "Manage Attachments". See the photo I've attached below. Just watch the file size so it's not larger than 235k.

Rosie
08-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Ok, hope I am not sending too many pics at one time.
Here are 4 pics. If this works I will send a couple more.

Rosie
08-02-2008, 03:46 PM
It worked, so here are a couple more!
I have do do a few things. Needs a headliner. Wiper motors need work.
Needs seat belts.
No overdrive.
But it was taken down and rebuilt a couple of years ago. Only 500 miles on the new engine. New chassis.
Owner had to have two back surgeries so probably does not want all the jouncing around anymore.
What do you think? How much would you pay for it?

Rosie
08-02-2008, 03:56 PM
A few more.

EASTTNROVER
08-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Nice!!! How much did you give for it?? Looks in great shape. Have fun!

Rosie
08-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Was going to add a couple more but exceeded my quota, whatever that means.

SafeAirOne
08-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Rosie,

How do you expect to learn about land rovers if you buy one that you're not going to have to fix all the time? It'll take you years to get intimately familiar with this one! :p

What do you think? How much would you pay for it?

I think you've made a good choice! I wouldn't know how much to pay for it--My Rover is a daily driver that is 3 or 4 rungs lower on the condition ladder (though mine's still not bad, it's more of a typical Series Rover).

Again, Congratulations!

yank
08-02-2008, 06:30 PM
How did you find it? Congratulations looks great!

Rosie
08-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I found it right on this forum....vehicles for sale.
I haven't sent the check out yet so I probably should not say what I paid, but it is over 7k and under 7.6k.

And it better not take years to get intimate with this truck!!!!!
My husband will have my head!!

greenmeanie
08-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Oh,it doesn't take years to get aquainted - things start breaking from the day you get em.

Nice truck, enjoy you rownership experience. Be warned however, they have a strange habit of mutliplying if left in your driveway.

Cheers
Gregor

Tim Smith
08-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Hooray Rosie!

Rineheitzgabot
08-02-2008, 11:36 PM
It's hard to judge completely via photos, but I would say that if you paid less than 15k, you did well.

Glad to have you aboard:thumb-up:

SafeAirOne
08-03-2008, 09:15 AM
It's hard to judge completely via photos, but I would say that if you paid less than 15k, you did well.

I concur.

JayGoss
08-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I concur.

+1! From one of the front shots it looks like the chassis is galvanized- and the springs are either brand new or rust free repaints. The motor looks to be an ex-mod rebuild judging by the light green paint everywhere. Hard to see the condition of the rear floor and xmembers from the pics- but I don't see any chalky holes in the floor from my vantage point. My guess is the swivel balls are new or in great shape if they match the rest of the car's condition. Don't worry about not having an OD- just put on some 7.50x16 tires and enjoy it! Looks like a real nice one- for a very reasonable price! Good job Rosie!

Rosie
08-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks Jay!
Just hope I am not getting scammed! Sending $ tomorrow!
I'll let you all know if anything gets wierd!
Send out the Rover riders to get him!!!

Leslie
08-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Rosie, that's a good-lookin' truck. You've done very well, methinks. Even if you have a lot of nigglin' problems (which I don't expect), it appears to be a solid beginning point... a clean unmolested SIIa, w/ a galvanized chassis, etc.

It *is* a Series.... you'll get to learn about living w/ a truck w/ personality, character, instead of just like everything else on the road that everyone else drives..... sure, you're gonna get your hands greasy, but you're gonna love it...

dcwhybrew
08-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Rosie, where did you find it and, if you dont mind me asking, how much?

Rosie
08-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Chris, found it right here on the RN classified page.

SafeAirOne
08-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Rosie, where did you find it and, if you dont mind me asking, how much?

From 10 posts ago in this thread:

I found it right on this forum....vehicles for sale.
I haven't sent the check out yet so I probably should not say what I paid, but it is over 7k and under 7.6k.

Rosie
08-08-2008, 10:48 AM
If anybody is reading this thread and not the other one, I am trying to move my Rover from Gillette, Wyoming to King Ferry, NY.
Can't get any haulers to pick it up!!
If you have any ideas that were not posted on the shipping thread, let me know!
Thanks!

Rosie
08-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Got my rover home!!!!
Shipping couldn't have gone better!
I'm excited!!!
Rose

Tim Smith
08-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Got my rover home!!!!
I'm excited!!!
RosePictures pictures pictures!

Rosie
08-20-2008, 08:50 AM
can't upload anymore pics. I guess there is a limit.
How do you get around the limit?

Tim Smith
08-20-2008, 09:13 AM
can't upload anymore pics. I guess there is a limit.
How do you get around the limit?I've been using Picasa (http://picasaweb.google.com/smithco1) for years which I really like now. But to tell you the truth, it was difficult trying to figure out how to post pictures from it, in-line into forums like this.

Now that I've figured it out however, it's great!

Any way, choose what ever image hosting site you like and upload your images there. There are a bunch of free ones so just google it. Once you've done that, you click on the add image link in the post message editor (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/images/editor/insertimage.gif) and put the URL of the image you want to add in there. The image URL has to end with ".jpg", ".gif", ".png" or whatever other image types there are for it to display correctly. Hopefully whatever image hosting site you use will have clear instructions on how to get the image URL. Usually you can just right click on the image and look at the properties to get the image URL but this wasn't the case for Picasa and was the source of my previous frustrations.

Hope that helps!

Blueboy
08-20-2008, 09:37 AM

Rosie, congrats on the purchase and looks like a real find.

What company did you use for the shipping?

Jaime

Rosie
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
The uploading thing is sounding too complicated.
Wonder why I can't just delete the ones on the forum?
Maybe I should talk to a RN forum person.
The shipper was New Era Freight out of Oregon. They bid on my job through uship and it was the right price. They also had excellent ratings.
Everything went super smooth. Truckers they used were perfect! Got the truck from Wyoming to NY in 2 days!! He flew!
We gave him dinner and off he went into the blue!
My truck is cool!!!

Blueboy
08-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Everything went super smooth

that is great to hear.

again, best of luck with the new Rover.

Jaime

Moose
08-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Seeing as she is having a bit of trouble posting pix, here are a few shots Rosie sent me earlier of her new Land Rover arriving home.

Rosie
08-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks Brett!:)

petru
08-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Ah, a Rover in its other natural habitat. Nice. Post more when you get teh opportunity.

SafeAirOne
08-23-2008, 11:32 PM
I just drove 1000 miles round trip (not in my rover) on vacation and I saw nothing even remotely as interesting on the road as a flatbed trailer with a bit of cargo and a Series Rover on the very end :( .

Congrats again, Rosie. As for posting more photos, I think you can go to your old posts where you included photos, click "edit" and delete old, unnecessary photos through "manage attachments"

Rosie
08-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks Mark!!
I was worried about the spare tire hanging off the back door like that while in route across the country, but it seems ok. I am taking off the spare from the back door, even though there is a very thick metal plate, it sure does make opening the door awkward.
My husband is so impressed with the Rover! He is amazed that I got what I thought I was getting! He is skeptical of buying without driving...
but the seller was honest and it all worked out!
I'll try to delete those old pics.