PDA

View Full Version : 109 SW Internal Rollcage.

PH4
07-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Has anyone installed an internal roll bar in a Series SW? Looking at the Safety Devices website it appears they have a model that is just internal for a 110 http://www.safetydevices.com/images/products/4x4/2008%20catalogue%20-%20defender110.pdf

that would work perfect. Anyone have one. I doubt they will sell to the states for liability prupposes as they have suppliers in a number of countries but not USA. I want to add a little safety without having to go through the top and wings. Thoughts and experiences appreciated

bearcrawl
07-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Buddy of mine had a cage built and it came out awesome. Here are a couple pics. 88" not 109" but can't be that different. http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/rldahllof/IMG_2011.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/rldahllof/IMG_2006.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/rldahllof/IMG_2012.jpg

badvibes
07-21-2008, 10:00 PM
bearcrawl-

What do the clamps function to do on the cage? Tie in a front section to a rear section, is the cage done in more than one section? Can't really see what they do. Detaills man, I need details. Nice looking cage, the frame tie ins are often overlooked.

Jeff

bearcrawl
07-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Yep it's in 2 sections. He has a pickup cab. To fit it all he has to do is remove those clamps and the pickup cab fits between the 2 sections. When it's all clamped togather it's real strong. Tied into the frame 6 times. Really nice cage. I might have more pics, I was going to use his cage as a basis to have one built but after geting a couple local prices I think I'm going to do it myself. Figure I could screw up a few meters and still come out ahead.

jp-
07-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I fail to see the point in an internal cage?

It won't save the bodywork if you roll over, and it's one more thing to hit your head on as you're going over.

I know that external cages, such as on the 110, may mess up the looks of a Series a little bit, but I think it would be better.

Or am I missing something?

onecross
07-22-2008, 11:50 AM
I would like to put a full external roll cage on my 109 II 5 door SW has anyone done this and have the plans?

-Mat

Eric W S
07-22-2008, 12:02 PM
I fail to see the point in an internal cage?

It won't save the bodywork if you roll over, and it's one more thing to hit your head on as you're going over.

I know that external cages, such as on the 110, may mess up the looks of a Series a little bit, but I think it would be better.

Or am I missing something?

Why would you hit your head on the internal cage? What idiot wheels without wearing a seatbelt or harness?

The goal of any cage is not to save bodywork, but the occupants.

Easier to make a sympathetic and functional internal cage versus anything external. Look at the Island rover on ECR. Nice cage that works with the ST. Looks Ok. Internal cages allow easier changes in body styles from ST to PU top like the pics above.

Surf ECR's builds this year. They had a rolled 110. That 110's exo didn't preclude it from major damage as the panels succumbed to the forces of the roll.

Rineheitzgabot
07-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Beautiful work on the cage. I would have only done one thing different: I would have welded a mounting plate to the end of the pipe on the frame (truck frame), and mounted the cage with four, 5/8', grade -8er's, instead of tempering the steel on the frame with weld heat.

Good job:thumb-up:

jp-
07-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Why would you hit your head on the internal cage? What idiot wheels without wearing a seatbelt or harness?

Easier to make a sympathetic and functional internal cage versus anything external. Look at the Island rover on ECR. Nice cage that works with the ST. Looks Ok. Internal cages allow easier changes in body styles from ST to PU top like the pics above.

Surf ECR's builds this year. They had a rolled 110. That 110's exo didn't preclude it from major damage as the panels succumbed to the forces of the roll.

It just looks like from the pictures that the crossbar behind the seats is very close, and that even with a seatbelt you may be bounced into it.

From the crash damage thread, it seems that the Series bodwork does as well as that 110 did with its external cage (which probably could be made stronger). Again, I see the point for a roll cage in a soft top, but not really for a SW. Now as stated before, a strong exterior cage would help in a low speed (light tipover) situation to protect the bodywork (e.g. Momo's bent bulkhead situation perhaps).

Eric W S
07-22-2008, 04:59 PM
It just looks like from the pictures that the crossbar behind the seats is very close, and that even with a seatbelt you may be bounced into it.

From the crash damage thread, it seems that the Series bodwork does as well as that 110 did with its external cage (which probably could be made stronger). Again, I see the point for a roll cage in a soft top, but not really for a SW. Now as stated before, a strong exterior cage would help in a low speed (light tipover) situation to protect the bodywork (e.g. Momo's bent bulkhead situation perhaps).

I would agree the external would be helpful in a light roll. Also I agree that it would be goofy to have one in a 109 SW.

But to each there own. I have no plans on one unless I win the lottery and find Timm Coopers shop by chance...

badvibes
07-22-2008, 06:17 PM

I think Eric WS hits the point right on the head. Yeah a weak attempt at humor. The purpose of the cage is for the benefit of the passengers. What a person needs is based on what situation they are going to put themself in. I have a full cage in my CJ. I'm not the hardest core of wheelers. Still I've been in places where I was hoping my cage wouldn't fail me if needed. In those moments I wasn't really worried about bodywork, just my noggin. I know I won't ever push my Rover as hard. I'm deeming 3 point belts and a hard top as adequate for what I do in the Series. Judge for yourself what you do or don't need. Whatever style you go with, internal or external or none, do what you need to be confident it will be up to the task. It's better to have it and not need it than... The first modification I did to the CJ was the cage, before tires, lift, winch etc. I figure as much $$ as we throw at these trucks I could spend a little first to provide some protection. IF that was how I was going to use it. That's my $.02 worth, you get what you pay for.

Jeff

PH4
07-22-2008, 07:54 PM
The reason I started the thread was a cage for protection in an on road accident. There are so many variables in an accident that it is impossible to prepare the vehicle for "that day" but I felt an internal cage may help in an on road accident. As some have stated, defensive driving is your best overall call.