PDA

View Full Version : Transfercase Oil Leaks

Jim-ME
07-15-2008, 08:22 PM
My transfercase is leaking quite badly from the from and rear output seals. Which seals do I need and is there a possible need for anything else other than seals? Thanks,
Jim

Tim Smith
07-16-2008, 07:04 AM
I just went through this.

If you are lucky it's just the output seal and it's from age. That is pretty straight forward and just requires you to take the parking brake assembly off for access. While you are in there, you should get the felt/wax gasket for between the end of the output shaft and it's mating flange.

If you are unlucky, the bearings have worn out a bit and your output shaft has developed a wiggle. Try grabbing the parking brake drum and wiggling it up and down a bit (assuming everything else is nice and tight). If it does move then you will need to remove a shim or two from between the transfer case and speedo housing. This is in combination with replacing the seals above. Take a look at this thread about Prop Shaft Wiggle (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4069) as there was some good advice that helped me out.

It's not a big deal really. But if you just change the above seals without checking for the wiggle, then you might end up like me and have to replace them again in a few thousand miles. :mad:

Cheers!

adkrover
07-16-2008, 08:53 AM
I had a rear seal leaking on a recently purchased rebuilt Tcase. I pulled the parking brake and found that the shaft on the parking brake drum where the seal rides was scored from abuse (no idea what king of abuse) so I swapped it for the old brake drum and installed a new seal. Took only an hour or two and stopped the leak.

Jim-ME
07-16-2008, 10:36 AM
This is what I've either ordered or had on hand did I miss anything?

FELT SEAL - REAR OUTPUT: RNC656 - 1

SPEEDI-SLEEVE - OUTPUT FLG : RNF453 - 1

GASKET OUTPUT SEAL COVER SERIES II, IIA & III: FRC1511 - 1

Oil Seal: FRC1780 - 2

Thanks,
Jim