PDA

View Full Version : Skytop Rover

Tom Santoli
07-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm planning on having Skytop Rover do some chassis work on my 109 (rear cross member and extensions), they seem quite experienced and established and Gabor was real helpful and friendly.

Has anyone seen there chassis work?

These guys are located not far from a few projects we have in Philadelphia so it's convenient but I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone that has dealt with them.

Thanks,

Tom

daveb
07-16-2008, 04:10 PM
never had any personal dealing with them but I have yet to hear anything good either

I'm planning on having Skytop Rover do some chassis work on my 109 (rear cross member and extensions), they seem quite experienced and established and Gabor was real helpful and friendly.

Has anyone seen there chassis work?

These guys are located not far from a few projects we have in Philadelphia so it's convenient but I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone that has dealt with them.

Thanks,

Tom

lrdukdog
07-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Generally over the years, Gabor has a good rep.
Jim Wolf
Elvenwood Kennel
Elvenwood.com

Tim Smith
07-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Please post your experience here as I'm sure it will help others in the Philly area.

Cheers!

daveb
07-17-2008, 12:07 PM
here's one person's story. nothing to do with welding, but a telling anecdote nonetheless

http://www.landroverexchange.com/forum/messages/23951.html

Please post your experience here as I'm sure it will help others in the Philly area.

Cheers!

Willard
07-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I have heard good and bad things. Met someone who actually bought a 109 Exmod from them (picked up some parts from me). He was happy with the experience, but said the Rover needed work.
When he told me what it needed and what he did to it i was surprised. He said he got a good price, but i never asked.
Heard bad things as well from several people all over the web. I know they never responded to any emails i sent and i could never get a hold of anyone when i was looking for 24V parts.

Anyways, From my understanding Rear cross members are fairly easy to weld on as are the outriggers (guy i bought my frame off did my outrigger in about 3 minutes, it is solid) Any welding shop should be able to do it easy enough if you cannot weld yourself.
I would check out a welding/ fabricating shop first.

RollingBrick
07-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Ditto on Willards note... My Series III 109 FFR was purchased there... From initial time of purchase to actual delivery, it took well over 6 months... Kept getting told one thing and something else was actually going on... Now 4 years later, I have this truck in my garage on Jack Stands with only about 600 miles since purchase... It was a vehicle that I was supposed to have recieved in "get in and go" condition... After rebuilding a couple of CJ7's, I decided that I wanted something that I didn't have to sink time into... Needless to say I am beyond disgust and have decided to rip it apart and start over on my own...It's true that they did do a fair amount of work to the vehicle that I bought... Most of it was in the old paint that was removed... However the mechanical aspects to it that were supposed to be addressed and fixed never happened... It just seemed like he was too busy without enough help...I hope that things have changed in his shop...

If it's just welding, have someone else do it... You may be waiting for a while otherwise.

I have heard good and bad things. Met someone who actually bought a 109 Exmod from them (picked up some parts from me). He was happy with the experience, but said the Rover needed work.

When he told me what it needed and what he did to it i was surprised. He said he got a good price, but i never asked.
Heard bad things as well from several people all over the web. I know they never responded to any emails i sent and i could never get a hold of anyone when i was looking for 24V parts.

Anyways, From my understanding Rear cross members are fairly easy to weld on as are the outriggers (guy i bought my frame off did my outrigger in about 3 minutes, it is solid) Any welding shop should be able to do it easy enough if you cannot weld yourself.
I would check out a welding/ fabricating shop first.

Spenser
07-21-2008, 09:54 AM
I looked at an ex-MOD ambulance at his old location. The description on the website was a "little" more promising than the vehicle turned out to be in person. He was, however, very personable to deal with but I ended up passing on the truck.