PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Seat Installation

SeriesCanuck
07-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi folks,

The previous owner of my IIA put seats from a Nissan in it. Although they are comfortable, they look out of place and don't make me feel like I'm driving an old Land Rover.

I bought a set of hi-back deluxe seats and the chap who sold them to me gave me a set of seat rails for free (as I didn't have any at all)

Question: How do these install? I get how they install on the seat box but how do they attach to the seats? Do I have to drill some extra holes in the seat bases? Do they just sit on the rails? Is there anything that holds the seat back in place?

I have 2 sets of rails and one extra piece that looks like it sits beside one of the inside rails for the centre seat (5 pieces in total).

The pics show what I have.

adkrover
07-17-2008, 10:21 PM
I recently went through the exact same thing. Only the seats were from a Blazer.

You are still missing one piece (per seat). The slide rails bolt to the seat box of the truck. THEN........ you need to bolt the seat frame (missing link) to the sliding rails. The frames are a square frame made from light guage angle iron slightly larger than the seat base cusion. The base cushion nests inside the frame. At the rear of the frame is a vertical extension with two holes in it to anchor the seat back. If you press your finger against the side of the seat back vinyl, you'll feel a small hole where a bolt would anchor the seat to the frame. Basically a pivot point at the bottom of the seat back. About 3" higher up the back, you'll feel another hole for the bolt to fix the seat back angle. You could make a custom frame but I just started asking around and I found lots of used ones. Start with our host and then branch out to places like Rovah Farm and Rovers Down South. Anyone with a good stock of old parts will have some. I can send a picture if none of this makes sense.

Momo
07-17-2008, 10:24 PM
What you need now is a set of seat bases to go with the rails. The bottoms drop into the bases and the seat backs index into tabs on the bases with use of bolts that should have been supplied with your seat backs. I would post a pic but I'm in the woods right now getting devoured by mosquitoes. But someone will post a pic. Or search the RN online catalog or exmoortrim.com and you should find a pic of the seat base.

Moose
07-18-2008, 07:44 PM
You'll be needing two of these to install your seats.

Brett

SeriesCanuck
07-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I knew I was missing some pieces.....I guess I'm missing the pieces that actually count.

Hey Moose, where in Ontario are you? I live in Saskatchewan but I spent most of my adult life in Toronto. I'll be driving back there in a few weeks for a wedding and to visit friends/ family.

Anybody know where I can get these parts?

Moose
07-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Hey Moose, where in Ontario are you? I live in Saskatchewan but I spent most of my adult life in Toronto. I'll be driving back there in a few weeks for a wedding and to visit friends/ family.

Anybody know where I can get these parts?
Well SeriesCanuck, I live on the fringe big bad Mississauga (right next door to Toronto for those that were wondering). I have a surplus pair of seat frames that I may be persuaded to let go to a fellow Canuck who could pick them up in a few weeks when he is out this way.

PM me and we can sort out the details.

Brett

SeriesCanuck
07-23-2008, 09:03 AM
seat backs index into tabs on the bases with use of bolts that should have been supplied

Thanks again guys.....I wasn't supplied any bolts at all. Does anybody know what size, thread type, length etc.... by any chance?

siiirhd88
07-23-2008, 09:28 AM
1/4 28 X 3/4 or 1 inch work fine. I placed fender washers between the seat back and frame to help protect the seat vinyl. Use a blunt pointed tool to locate the threaded holes under the material. I found two sets of holes, one set to allow a more upright placement of the seat back.

Bob

SeriesCanuck
07-23-2008, 07:15 PM
1/4 28 X 3/4 or 1 inch work fine. I placed fender washers between the seat back and frame to help protect the seat vinyl. Use a blunt pointed tool to locate the threaded holes under the material. I found two sets of holes, one set to allow a more upright placement of the seat back.

Bob

Thanks. Knowing ahead of time will save some grief.

Cheers