PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering leaks in a RRC 1989

PaulBarrow
07-19-2008, 07:11 PM
It is now July 2008 and I am trying to find out more about Power Steering pump leaks. I have an 89 RRC that has decided to start to leak just back from a 2500 mile trip - so I have time to get to it now.

Are leaks typically hoses or do they tend to be pump seal related? If the latter are pumps and seals repairable or are they toast once they leak please?

Thanks

Paul

I Leak Oil
07-20-2008, 06:20 PM
The hoses are a source of potential leaks but I've owned both a '96 disco and an '88 RRC and the biggest source of PS fluid was from the hose connections at the reservoir. On the RRC I also had to replace the steering box. Spray everything down with brake cleaner, wipe it clean then look for the leaks.....
Jason T.

PaulBarrow
07-20-2008, 08:19 PM
The reservoir end? That's interesting! Thanks, I wouldnt have looked there! Mine is just connected by wire hose/Jubilee clip to the outlet from the reservoir - is that correct or should it be something more substantial please?

I cleaned everything off by couldnt see any fluid spraying from a leak - how long should it take after firing up and having someone turn the steering wheel? Do they need to go arc to arc to get it to really be worked??

Thanks

Paul

PaulBarrow
08-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Well, I have done absolutely nothing to the system and it has stopped leaking. Interesting thing is it seems to leak if I park the vehicle with the wheels locked to one side, and not if they are straight ahead. Why is that please?

Thanks

Paul

ptschram
08-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Interesting thing is it seems to leak if I park the vehicle with the wheels locked to one side, and not if they are straight ahead. Why is that please?

Thanks

Paul

The shaft is worn in one spot, turning the wheels allows the fluid to leak past the worn spot.

The first step to solving these leaks is to replace the low-pressure hoses. Rovers North has them. If the box is leaking from either the input or output shaft, your best course of action is to replace the box. You can try the seal kit, but quite often, the wear is beyond the point where it can be saved by new seals. Replacement is a virtual guarantee of solved leaks.