PDA

View Full Version : Horn problem

Enigma
07-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I was driving to town today and noticed that when I made a right hand turn, the horn blew. I took off the button assembly and the wire seemed fine. Where might I find the short that causes the horn to blow. It is a series ii with the banjo styled steering wheel.

Thanks John

siiirhd88
07-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Hot battery power should be supplied directly to one horn terminal via a brown wire. The other horn terminal should have a black wire that goes to your horn button. Depressing the horn button grounds the circuit, sounding the horn. With this setup, if the black wire shorts to ground anywhere along its path to the button, the horn will sound. See if the black wire is being 'pulled' when the steering wheel is turned. It usually is....

Bob

Hormel
07-19-2008, 11:41 PM
I just had the same problem on the banjo wheel. My fix was to take the steering wheel off, clean off the brass horn contact, add a little (dielectric?) grease to the shaft, clean and adjust the bend in the horn spring contact that is on the back of the wheel.

You do need to be careful not to kink the spring contact when putting the wheel back on, I think that is where the problem be. I also found that when I put the wheel on I needed to make sure not to push it all the way down before tightening. If the wheel was all the way down the screws holding the contact on the back touch the shaft contact and made the horn go off.

I only wish I had not put the wheel back on crooked but that is not as annoying as having the horn randomly blow while driving.

John

scott
07-20-2008, 01:12 AM
mine did it on left turns. my initial fix was to just wave politely when turning left. made the kids wave too. that way if the horn got anyones attention they would see me wave but not at them and they think i just saw some one i knew and not sounding off at them. kids thought this was stupid so after a couple of weeks i took the wheel apart and found that the brass contact that was rivited through some insulating material had given. replaced that little black cup looking thing and now drive with hands at 10 & 2