PDA

View Full Version : Spring in the oil canister?

east high
07-20-2008, 11:36 AM
I changed the motor oil for the first time about a month ago and found a long spring in the canister. It sits between the filter and the canister bolt. It doesn't appear to be doing anything and the bible doesn't show or mention a long spring in oil changing process.

What gives? :confused:

petru
07-20-2008, 12:30 PM
There should have been a tiered piece of metal also - doesn't really look like a washer. Was this present? THey go together. I ran into this problem my first oil change.

east high
07-21-2008, 10:16 AM
There should have been a tiered piece of metal also - doesn't really look like a washer. Was this present? THey go together. I ran into this problem my first oil change.

Nope, just the spring. I had a feeling something was missing.

gudjeon
07-21-2008, 11:06 PM
At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all.... The spring and tiered washer holds the filter in place under the springs tension. This creates somewhat of a seal so the oil flows through the filter media, and not bypass it. In the event of a clogged filter, the oil pressure will push against the filter and spring to move the filter off its seal in the upper housing. This way, oil can still flow even when the filter is no longer able to work.

east high
07-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Makes sense. Anyone know the part # for the tiered washer?

At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all.... The spring and tiered washer holds the filter in place under the springs tension. This creates somewhat of a seal so the oil flows through the filter media, and not bypass it. In the event of a clogged filter, the oil pressure will push against the filter and spring to move the filter off its seal in the upper housing. This way, oil can still flow even when the filter is no longer able to work.