PDA

View Full Version : 2000 disco II-- head gasket job-- How big of a job is it?

rover2000
07-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Never done a head gasket on a Disco II...How much of a pain in the ass is it? How long should it take?

kh500
07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
The dealer's $2500 quote to replace the headgasket(2000 DiscoII, 75K)really motivated me to get started.

Two full days to gut out. Three days to clean up head/valves/intake.... Two days for put them all together.
(I am a weekend DIYer with limited skill and basic tools and the majority of time spent to flip the Manuals for each step forward.)

The head bolts on driverside near the bay was a bit difficult to get them out :mad: but other than that, I didn't encounter any difficulty.

See the photos I took as I worked on.

Disassemble:
http://www.mysaab900.com/gallery/Discovery_2000/Head-gasket-disassemble/

Putting all together: => http://www.mysaab900.com/gallery/Discovery_2000/assemble/

I hope this helps to scoop out the work.

artemis43
01-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Thank you so much for posting these images. I am about to have some work done...or my husband may do it, so this is quite informative when it comes to making the decision. Thanks! Peace:thumb-up:

CliftonRover
01-29-2009, 01:59 AM
the job its self is not technical. you do need a few tools depending on why you need to do a head gasket. the block and heads should be checked to make sure they are still perfectly straight with a machinists straight edge. the local shop could do this for you or tell you how to do it. as far as time goes it depends on how dirty and stuck things are. I have done a few of them, and to keep my sanity I take it apart one day and put it back together the next as long as all the parts are there, and no machining needs to be done. if you are going to do the valve guide seals you may want to have a shop do this seeing that you need a special tool. these only need to be done if the truck has many miles or it burns oil.
bottom line is if you can label or keep track of everything you take apart you will be fine, it is a great learning experience and will make you be more wary not to let the truck overheat.

pea2625
01-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Bar leak repair 1 step. IT works,and its 30 bucks. Unless you cooked the motor. Its a great patch job til one can choke out the 2 grand, to fix a Land Rover MFG poor quality gasket issue. Thanks ford!:mad:

GypsyRover
02-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Hello KH500,
Thanks so much for all of the pics! Great stuff. Pictures really are worth a thousand words.

Thanks,
GypsyRover