PDA

View Full Version : Question about mounting Spare Tire

crankin
07-23-2008, 01:27 PM
I recently purchased a '72 88' with the spare tire on the bonnet.

The problem that I am having is how to attach the tire back to the bonnet. I have never paid attention on how they attach until i purchased one for myself. Now I am trying to find an illustration or a picture to help explain it to me.

I guess I place the clamp with the long arm down and then what? Does it hook under the wheel, over, etc.?

Does someone have a picture showing the proper way to attach?

TSR53
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I hope this helps...

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/product/large/LR-page52.1.jpg

crankin
07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Right. I have all those items.

But number 8 "securing cam" how does that secure the wheel to the bonnet?

Does the securing bolt go through the holes in teh wheel? Does the securing cam reach under, over the wheel, etc...

Jim-ME
07-23-2008, 04:12 PM
The picture shows it actually up side down. I'll try to get a picture for you before the evening is over.
Jim

daveb
07-23-2008, 06:32 PM
I think there are different cams for wheels with different offsets. anyway, the bolts and cams DO NOT go through the holes of the wheel. the design is such that if you loosen the bolt, you can turn the cam so that the curved edge allows clearance for the hub hole and thus the wheel can be lifted on or off.

cams can be flipped to suit your wheel offset as best as possible. I've also use them to go into a wheel stud hole and put the bolt through the wheelstud hole at various times for various reasons, even though that wasn't the original intent AFAIK

The picture shows it actually up side down. I'll try to get a picture for you before the evening is over.
Jim

bearcrawl
07-23-2008, 07:20 PM
66' 2a, not sure if yours is the same but here is a pic.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/rldahllof/IMG_2049.jpg

crankin
07-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Beautiful! Exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks for the pic!