PDA

View Full Version : Shipping vehicles

Rosie
07-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Has anyone got any advice on shipping vehicles?
What is the best company to use, and is there anything I should know regarding problems that could occur, particularly with a Series Rover?

Firemanshort
07-23-2008, 09:28 PM
I have shipped two trucks from England (I assume you mean internatioanlly and not domestic).

Read here - http://www.geocities.com/firemanshort/shipping.htm and here - http://www.geocities.com/firemanshort/StageOne/stageone.htm

Rosie
07-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Oh, sorry, I mean domestic shipping. The prices vary quit a bit.
Are there any companies to avoid?

xsbowes
07-24-2008, 07:07 AM
I used Matson going from Seattle to Honolulu, cost $1000. No complaints. I think they do transAmerica shipping also. But nothing beats driving your new rover home. My first rover I purchased in Hamburg Germany, I drove 1200 miles back to Santa Maria La Stella, Sicily over a six day stretch, including an overnight ferry ride from Genoa to Palermo. Best trip I ever had.

Rosie
07-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Nice blog read Firemanshort!
Stacey, that sounds like an adventure!
Wish I had the time!

yank
07-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Has anyone here brought a container across the pond? Anyone know what it would cost?

greenmeanie
07-24-2008, 09:30 AM
I brought a 40ft container over back in 2001. I had two vehicles in it and that cost included:

Pickup and loading at the UK end.
Hauling from the north of England to London docks.
An all expenses paid cruise to LA docks.
US customs clearance and import tax.
Hauling to Tucson.
I paid a shipping agent to deal with all this so their profit was included.That cost about $4.5K back then. Oh and I did not insure the container which lead to about 5 anxious weeks when I started reading the statistics on how many are lost in transit. Buy the insurance.

Offset this cost by selling any volume you don't use to people who, oh lets say, have a set of Sals axles hanging around in the UK and need them over here.

I think there's a gent on D90.com called Safarirover who brings stuff over regularly so you might want to talk to him for a more modern cost estimate.

Cheers
Gregor

Tim Smith
07-24-2008, 10:17 AM
In the states I found that you are better off shipping between major cities rather than door to door but that is up to the shipper and I'm sure they would advise you on that.

The only time I shipped a car was from Danbury, CT to Houston (I think), TX. It was a little old BMW 2002 so it could fit on a smaller flatbed truck. I think the total was $800 and the buyer was pleased with the results. That was before fuel went through the roof though.

I too did the one-way pick up with the Airportable. Jacksonville, FL to my home back in CT which was about 1100 miles in two days. Don't forget that this was in a truck that was bassically bought site unseen. Although I was lucky, it was definetly an adventure. I'd advise it only to someone who knows what they are getting into though. When I did my inspection before setting off, I missed a few items. Ran out of gas once (bad guage) in the Carolina's and some minor parts blew off in Georgia.

Blueboy
07-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Rosie,

I have used http://www.barnesautotransportation.com/ for many years with great success.

The key for me is the carrier keeping in touch with you so you can be prepared to ship or receive the Rover.

Plus, they also get to there destination in fine shape.

Sometimes they are running sometimes not and in either case, it will get on the flatbed.

I used them for shipping from So.Cal., Ok, Ny, Pa.

Jaime

jac04
07-24-2008, 11:39 AM
When I sold my 63 Rover, it was shipped from CT to PA via FedEx Custom Critical (fully enclosed trailer). The new owner arranged shipping, and I was very impressed with the whole operation.

Mountain132
07-24-2008, 12:40 PM
This april, I used Veilleux auto transport out of NH 603-498-0488. The total fee was $650 from Maine to GA, if you book directly from Veilleux the rate is cheaper. Service was door to door and took about a week and a half; it just depends on where you are in the pick up and drop off schedule. I had to ty the number a while because I think its also their dial up connection, but no reason to pay double for a company that claims drop off on a 2 day window if you wait a few extra days.

ericsherk
07-24-2008, 12:43 PM
I just bought a 1963 Dormobile. It didn't run and had no brakes or ebrake. I had it shipped from Seattle to San Diego for $500. I used uship.com where truckers bid on your set price. Its kinda like ebay for shipping which could be good or bad depending on your trust level. I lucked out and had a very good experience.

Rosie
07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks!
Just reading the ECR site on shipping. They have lots of info.

redmondrover
07-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Bottom line: money talks.

We learned this when we shipped our 109 from New Mexico to Redmond, WA. We first went with a broker who wasn't the cheapest at $950, but was still $300 less than the most expensive. After the 109 sat untouched for 3 weeks, we chose another broker out of Vancouver, WA, "offered" $1250 and our truck was picked up and on its way the very next day. We learned the following:
1. all of these brokers post vehicles for transport on the same "board" that is checked by transport truckers
2. don't list with more than one broker because they do not all regularly update and a trucker won't take the chance on driving to pick up your vehicle if there is a possibility that someone else has already picked it up.
3. if you get an online quote from a broker but do not chose them, make sure they have not posted your vehicle on the board (see #2). This happened to us and was part of the reason why no trucker touched our 109 for 3 weeks.
4. if you want your vehicle quickly, expect to pay towards the high end of the quotes especially now that diesel is so expensive.
5. if your vehicle is starting from a city where there is little auto-transport activity, expect to wait a while or offer more money.
6. make sure you get a copy of the pick-up report from the trucker who is going to transport your vehicle. It shows the damage on the vehicle when they picked it up, but it is also the only record you have that someone else has your vehicle.
7. Unless your series is in pristine condition, don't expect a lot of detail in this report. Our report said something like "minor dents and scratches all over vehicle."

good luck!

Rosie
07-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks so much for tips!!

zayante
07-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I found that many brokers don't know what a Series Land Rover is, or it wasn't in the online posting system they were using . I had to find a similar sized vehicle to describe to them.

Having a roof rack made transport more complicated. I had to give them the OA truck height. Turned out my 109 could only ride in one spot on the trailer so that it wouldn't get scraped off by an overpass. The driver hit me up for more money before he would drive it off the trailer, claiming it had prevented him from picking up other vehicles.

crankin
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
I transported mine from Missouri to Tennessee for $450 two weeks ago.
It was an open transport on a 5 car transfer truck.

The shipping company was Angels Moving Autos (http://www.transportreviews.com/company/angels-moving-autos.asp)... however they find the best transporters available. So, you might get another company all together.

(http://www.transportreviews.com/)Make sure that the transporter is fully insured. While is transit they should cover any damages. Thankfully mine come in without any problems.

http://www.transportreviews.com (http://www.transportreviews.com/) is a good place to look at for reviews.

ShootingCar
07-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Rosie,
I too am a complete newbie in this Land Rover world and appreciate the questions you have had and learn from all of these generous people. I bought an 88 that was rebuilt from ECR a while back and it has been there for some revisions prior to shippping. So per their recommendations, I just called Jeff Barnes at Barnes Automovers and he answers the phone himself while on the road. He quoted me a price and we scheduled the shipping of it from ECR in Maine to my house in Wisc... I then followed up with the reservation on his website per his direction. Door to door it is costing $1,145 which with the fuel prices, I felt was fair and in comparison what others have said on previous shipping. He is scheduled to pick it up in the first week of August and have it here in a week. He really gave me the impression that he cares to get it to me and will take care of my truck. So I am very confident with him. I will report to all here after I get it, how it went as well as how my truck is.

Blueboy
07-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Jeff Barnes at Barnes Automovers and he answers the phone himself while on the road

exactly!! this is why I always use his service.

Jaime

Rosie
07-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Jeff, that quote seems a little high for getting the Rover from Maine to Wisconsin.

Blueboy
07-28-2008, 11:15 AM
all depends on what level of service you want.

yes, there will be cheaper, yet, with Jeff I know when the Rover will be delivered and there will not be any damage.

Jaime

Eric W S
07-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Jeff, that quote seems a little high for getting the Rover from Maine to Wisconsin.

I think you need to do more research. I know of someone who paid 250 to get a truck shipped from Chicago to Ft. Wayne. That's 157 miles door to door.

That is a very good price.

Jeff PM me please. I may need to have you bring a truck to Chicago to me. I'll have more details but looks like Salt Lake City.

BackInA88
07-28-2008, 02:01 PM
I paid just under $900 to have my 88 shipped from Telluride Colorado to my door in S.E. Michigan about a year and a half ago.

Would have cost me more to fly there let alone the gas to drive it back.

Steve

Eric W S
07-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I paid just under $900 to have my 88 shipped from Telluride Colorado to my door in S.E. Michigan about a year and a half ago.

Would have cost me more to fly there let alone the gas to drive it back.

Steve

Double it due to the price increase in diesel. What was it back then, around 3?

Rosie
07-30-2008, 08:44 AM
I got a shipping quote of $1530.00 for shipping Series Rover from Oregon to central NY from Bulls Eye for end of August delivery.

greenmeanie
07-30-2008, 09:12 AM
That's not too bad a price for that distance.On fairly short notice and within a tight window due to the PO's travel schedule I got my 109 shipped from the back of beyond outside Colorado Springs to Phoenix for 650. The driver tried to hit me up for an extra $50 because he got taxed at the AZ border for being a commercial vehicle.

The wider the window for pick up and delivery you give them the cheaper it will be ini general.

Cheers
Gregor

Tim Smith
07-30-2008, 09:45 AM
I got a shipping quote of $1530.00 for shipping Series Rover from Oregon to central NY from Bulls Eye for end of August delivery.I want to try and figure this out...
My rough google estimate (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=eugene,+oregon&daddr=Albany,+NY&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=44.040219,-121.300049&sspn=3.356201,6.943359&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=4) put this trip at around 3000 miles one way.

So if you were paying just for the tug over to you then you are paying about $.50 a mile. The driver still has to make his way back home and we can only hope he gets another job for his way back but at short notice, who knows.

Now how much does the truck take out of that bill? Lets say the tow truck gets 15 mpg. I've seen diesel going for almost $6 locally but it looks like right now (http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd_dcus_nus_w.htm) nationally it's about $4.60 a gallon. That makes an average of $920 in fuel costs for the one way trip alone. That is nothing to say about keeping the tow truck on the road, tolls, taxes, tires, parts and insurance. I'd also be surprised if any tow truck could make 15 mpg but lets give it the benefit of the doubt.

Well after figuring all of this out, the driver MUST find another job or bring more than one car over to the east coast just to get home again otherwise he's not getting paid.

Good grief, I didn't think it was going to be so tight when I started this post...
Being a truck driver really is tough. :eek:

greenmeanie
07-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Ah but your analysis is based on merely hauling one vehicle. The way these guys work is to schedule slots on their truck all going in the same direction and each paying the going rate. As such he may be picking up a truck in Portland, one in Idaho, dropping one in Colorado but picking up two in New Mexico and so on. It's why they like to pick up and drop off in big cities because they can usually find another vehicle the same day.

Cheers
Gregor

Rosie
07-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Yea, the gal at Bulls Eye said that lots of independent truckers have been leaving the scene. The brokers have a smaller pool of haulers to choose from. Scheduling then can be difficult.

Tim Smith
07-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Ah but your analysis is based on merely hauling one vehicle. The way these guys work is to schedule slots on their truck all going in the same direction and each paying the going rate. As such he may be picking up a truck in Portland, one in Idaho, dropping one in Colorado but picking up two in New Mexico and so on. It's why they like to pick up and drop off in big cities because they can usually find another vehicle the same day.

Cheers
Gregor
Thanks Gregor. That is a good point. I'd hope they could keep a steady few cars on their haulers or else they're in the wrong business.

Rosie
08-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on shipping a Series Rover across the country via either an enclosed or open hauler?
Cost considerably more to enclose, and wondering if it makes that much difference. I guess if it was a show piece of a car you might want to enclose it, but if it is a good to above avg. vehicle, would anyone suggest enclosing it?

Moose
08-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Rose, I think you would be fine with an open hauler if the price difference is that big. I see new cars coming out of the ford plant down the road on open trailers every day and they don't seem to suffer. Of course, if you have a couple extra bucks to spare for the piece of mind...

Brett

Rosie
08-02-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm using Bullseye to haul this truck.
They have great reviews.
Some of these outfits have pretty poor feedback. People have been whipped by some of these guys....

petru
08-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I used Bullseye. They were quick in arranging the trip with the driver they used for mine.

Tim Smith
08-02-2008, 09:42 PM
A series truck might not fit in a closed trailer. Too tall.

Can't get mine into the parking garage at the office without hitting the fire sprinkler piping :eek::eek::eek: but the average SUV has no problem. I am on 33 inch tires though.

The cool thing is that now I don't have to park in the parking garage any more. Since I told building security about the height issue, I've been kindly asked to park my truck in the executive parking lounge at ground level. The truck looks better next to the fancy cars any way. :cool:

Rosie
08-03-2008, 07:36 AM
That's cool how you got around the parking garage issue Tim!
Very cool!

Tim Smith
08-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Actually, I'm a firm believer that my series rovers have gotten me into lots of parties that I never got an invite for. :D

The trucks are just cool. You'll see.

scott
08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
there's a site http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70 (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70) were folks post haul'n needs and or abilities. i've got a posting there now trying to get my sankey from sacramento to albuquerque. had it arranged for just $200 bucks but when the guy got out to california his uncle made him an offer for the trailer he couldn't turn down. he sold his trailer thinking he would just tow my trailer but i couldn't get it registered fast enough so my postings still up. just talk to another guy who offer to haul it to las vegas for $300. said if he could find a job back he'd lower the price. some of the folk looking/posting on this site are just 4x4 enthusiast other are professionals looking for work. if any of you guys need something moved from albuquerque to northern cal and it'll fit on a 19' open trailer let me know.

Rosie
08-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Well.........I am on hold.... waiting for my Rover to arrive!!!
My ship date was yesterday the 7th.
I ended up taking a bid from Momentum Transport out of Houston.
They have good report from Better Bus. Bur. and fairly easy to deal with on the phone.
They gave me a low bid, but no one is going where my truck is located...that being Gillette, Wyoming.
I may have to wait a while!!
Prehaps I should have gone with Bulls Eye. I called them yesterday to see if they could do it, and they are away at a conference......supposedly picking up calls, but did not call me back.
Also placed it on uship.
Got a bid this morning through uship, but way way out of range, over 3,000 to move it to central NY!!!
Also have a few Rover friends that are willing to pick it up after the Rover meet in Moab...but that is late Sept.!!!
Anybody got any ideas?
My Rover is bought and paid for, and just hanging around the prairie looking for a ride!!!

Tim Smith
08-08-2008, 07:31 AM
I wonder if it would pay to do two shippings here... One from where it is to a major city and then another from the major city to another major city near central NY.

I don't know. Just guessing.

SafeAirOne
08-08-2008, 08:10 AM
I wonder if it would pay to do two shippings here... One from where it is to a major city and then another from the major city to another major city near central NY.

I don't know. Just guessing.

That's what I'm thinking. Perhaps the seller could drive it to civilization for an easier pickup.

There is another alternative, depending on how adventerous you are, Rosie...It involves taking a week off from work, a one-way plane ticket, a fair amount of gas money, and a pre-established network of helpers (Birmabrite Brotherhood) along the way, should you need it.

Rosie
08-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Tim, I will look into that thought.

Mark, I would do it in a minute, I love crossing the Mississippi River going west!! But my cows will dry up while I am away!!
Can't get down the road, never mind Wyoming!

Rosie
08-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Well, I finally found a hauler willing to hike up to Wyoming!
Got it through uship today.
New Era Freight.
They have positive reviews, lots of insurance coverage, and tell me they will get it done in a couple of days.
All the way to central NY for $1,400.00.
That is the best I could do!
Thanks for all your help!
Let's hope the Rover arrives safely!!