PDA

View Full Version : LR ripoff scam

daveb
07-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this has been posted already.And I know many of you are aware of it.

Just trying to spread the word about this: a chap on disco-web bought a G4 disco for $17kUS. It arrived missing $4k worth of the advertised mods. Now he's trying to collect from the deadbeat seller, Anthony Simoneau. Similar to the famous Charlie Wenzel thread on pirate 4x4 a few years ago where the poor kid finally cracked under the barrage of hate mail as the topic went viral on all manner of internet forums. The buyer goes by "DOHC Holliday." Seller is "reelpain"

Go have a look, tell your friends...help a brother out...

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48774

cheers
Dave in DC

jp-
07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't have a discoweb account. Just exactly what is the scam? You mention the buyer and seller, however usually when these things happen the seller just disappears and stops taking all calls or messages. Are you saying the seller is running a scam and selling additional vehicles without advertised equipment, or was this a one time deal?

Sorry, I'm a little thick today. Is it Friday yet?

Mercedesrover
07-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Drama Web

Most sensible folks steer-clear.

Leslie
07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Drama Web

Hey now, not all....... :p

You don't have to have an account to lurk, jsut to post or see images posted.....

jp-
07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
You don't have to have an account to lurk, jsut to post or see images posted.....

Funny, when I click the link, it says that I am not logged in and gives me a must register page...

Leslie
07-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Funny, when I click the link, it says that I am not logged in and gives me a must register page...

Doh! It wasn't in the General section..... the Classifieds are a closed section, you *do* have to be logged in to get to them.............

Sorry..........

daveb
07-24-2008, 03:31 PM
JP-

One time scam. Maybe scam was not the best word as that implies repetition.

Mercedes Jim... Just tryin to help a brother out...and draw attention to a fraudster in our ranks...your comment, while amusing, is neither enlightening or constructive. In fact I am surprised to see that from you. Most people in N.A already know the deal with d-web. That doesn't change the fact that this guy got ripped off to the tune of 4.11 gears, HD halfshats, and f&r true-tracs...all of which simply were not there.

Drama Web

leafsprung
07-24-2008, 03:59 PM
seems like the buyer and seller are still talking off and on, lets see what transpires before getting involved. Its nice to help out a fellow rover owner. I had a set of d90 seats and a winch bumper stolen from me and the guy wont return calls or emails or letters. It was nice to have local rover folks leave notes on his car and give me updates, but beyond harassing the guy, theres not much you can do if they just want to rip you off. Legal recourse frequently costs more than the stuff is worth. Obviously this guy is a scounderel, but some burden for what happened lies with the buyer for not checking it out thoroughly before buying. Just like its partially my fault for trusting the guy to return my seats and bumper. We want to trust people to do the right thing and be fair but not everyone plays by those rules. Thems the brakes. Buyer beware.

Eric W S
07-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Not my business. Sympathetic, yes. But DOHC went on another man's word that proved to be worthless.

SafeAirOne
07-25-2008, 07:01 AM
I'd probably wait and see what happens...I'm not convinced it's a scam yet. Unlike the CraigsList ad my son come across a few weeks ago: a low-mile, nice 97 Defender 90 for $4500. Ad was linked to lots of photos of a nice, red D90. I emailed the seller and said "for $4500, I'll take it!", thinking it was a typo.

I got an e-mail back from some "girl" saying that she was "in the Army and shipping out soon", and that she'll "only sell the rover through a third party and to "send the $4500 check to...." who would "ship the rover right away..."

YEAH, RIGHT!

Now THAT was clearly a scam.