PDA

View Full Version : 88 series III overheating

Mike_S
07-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Ok, poor Olive is overheating...and my crazy schedule has kept me from realizing the severity..so I'm going through my checklist...

radiator cap - bad, loosing coolant..swapped that out, flushed the system and refilled - she ran great for several days, no problems with heating or idling...

I take her out last night and she's not idling right, and I experience some fast heating...check the fluids and radiator, all look fine....belt looks good..however there appears to be some leakage occurring behind the radiator and fan, closer to the engine on the right side.

She was hot and it was starting to storm last night, so I left her in the garage and I'm going to tackle it this weekend..

If you've got the time, could you throw any thoughts or recommendations out? I want to cover all the bases and actually have the time this weekend.

THANK YOU!

Mike (& Olive)

sven
07-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Check the thermostat. I had a new t-stat seize shut on me and it overheated. I kept telling myself that it cant be the thermostat because its new.... It was a non-genuine replacement bought from a large rover parts house (not RN). I replaced it with a LR one from RN and all is good now.

sayers
07-25-2008, 10:03 AM
If not the themostadt, maybe the water pump is going ?